[F-FT] Recommendations for rail launchers

I'm soliciting recommendations for a rail launcher, hopefully based on actual usage. I seem to recall someone advertising one here several months ago, but I've not been able to find it.

I'm looking for something easy to carry in the car, but with a swivel-down base so that I don't need a ladder to put the rocket on the pad.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

What size stuff will you be launching?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

hi dave, check out

I think he will work with you on any changes you want to make if what he has dont suit your needs, he has sold quite a few to MDRA and some individuals and everyone is very happy with them, LeRoy

Reply to
BigRockets

I get a page not found error for this...

David Erbas-White

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I believe that should be

Howdy

Thanks!

David Erbas-White

Howdy wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Hi,

The ronspads recommendation if a very good one but I bought a small pad from the launchpad company with a rail adapter for $200.00 including shipping. I got a 6' rail from McMasters for roughly $30.00 including shipping. You might take a look here for another choice:

Be aware he is a one man shop and it took me close to two months before I got the pad. Built like a tank though. Does arachneering mean you are an arachnid or spider fan?

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Thanks, I'm not in a hurry, just want to find the 'right' fit...

It was a failed outsourcing idea I had -- supposed to be 'engineers on the web'

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

A rhetorical question comes to mind...

We build our own rockets, we make our own ignitors, and some even make their own motors, so why not make your own launch pad and launch system?

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

sorry, new keyboard is smaller, making lots of typo's,

it is

Reply to
BigRockets

Re:

Not all of us are expert welders and would take too much time, effort and money to learn to do so. This $200.00 pad will probably last me for my entire career. I am kicking myself in the head as my paternal grandfather was the foreman in charge of all the crews of the Northern Illinois Gas Company now known as NICOR. He retired in 1969 after 48 years and is now deceased at age 98. He was an expert welder and I was too stupid to ask him to show me how. He would have, but somehow, as a dumb teenager, that hot temperature scared me and I never asked. I enjoyed watching him work on tasks around his house, my dad's shop and our house but I just didn't have the gumption to ask. I regret that to this day as it could have been a legacy of skill passed on but now is lost to me. :(

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

My first pad I made was back in my modrocs days of the 70's. Made it out of metal girders from a old erector set. After I wore that out I used simple angle iron from a old bed found doing some dumspter diving. Both of these pads were built totally with out welding. I just used a hand drill and some bolts. At the last IEAS launch I was at(over a year ago) they had some pretty nifty pads made of PVC tubing.

Still plenty of time to learn to weld, Kurt. Plenty of online resources to tap. Depending on where you lives I bet there's a local school that teaches the basics.

Your never too old to learn!

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

A rhetorical question comes to mind...

Because I don't know how to weld (now, if I was soldering it, I'd do great )? Because I don't have any metal-working tools? Because I'm not a mechanical engineer (for metal works)? Because I'd think that someone who build more than one has learned ways of providing an optimized solution? Because I'd rather spend my time building my own rockets and making my own igniters?

Don't get me wrong, if I had infinite money, time, and space, I'd be happy to learn how to do it, get the tools, and do it on my own. But none of those is true.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Yeah,

But at least you didn't blow an opportunity like I had! Ted is right about still being able to learn but the time factor is a real big issue right now and it wouldn't be like having grandpa teach you how to do weld.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

See my previous post to Kurt.

You could put your soldering skills to good use on a launch system. Better yet you could use those same soldering skills making a pad from copper tubing.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Do you have a McMasters part number, or perhaps keywords that will help me find rail stock? I've tried "rail", "channel", and "extrusions" without success...

Thanks!

Kevin OClassen

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

Oops... never mind. I found it

Track Roller Guide Blocks and Extruded Aluminum Rails part# 60585K81

for a 10' rail with 1/4" slot

Kevin O

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

Hi Kevin: FWIW, the FAQ at

says that is the "1010" equivalent and gives the part number for the 80/20 "1515" extrusion. It also has suggestions on mounting the rails. Will

Kevin OClassen wrote: ...

Will Marchant

Frieght on a 10' rail will cost more than the rail. Guess how I found out. If you need a 10' rail either pick it up from a local supplier or get 2 shorter ones. You can find local suppliers on the 8020.net website. You can also find the correct part to slice 2 pieces together on that web site.

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

In McMaster you search on 80/20

If you go to

'll often find 4' lengths (and others) of 1010 or 1515. Shipping charges on an 8' piece drop from $20 to $6 when you cut the piece in 1/2. 4' is easier to get to the launch site anyway. The aluminum is fairly easy to work with a simple drill and you can get floor mounting pieces ready made.

Reply to
To hot to bother