[F-FT] Recommendations for rail launchers

I'm soliciting recommendations for a rail launcher, hopefully based on actual usage. I seem to recall someone advertising one here several
months ago, but I've not been able to find it.
I'm looking for something easy to carry in the car, but with a swivel-down base so that I don't need a ladder to put the rocket on the pad.
Any recommendations would be most appreciated...
David Erbas-White
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:23:20 -0700, David Erbas-White

What size stuff will you be launching?
Phil
hi dave, check out www.romspads.com I think he will work with you on any changes you want to make if what he has dont suit your needs, he has sold quite a few to MDRA and some individuals and everyone is very happy with them, LeRoy
I get a page not found error for this...
David Erbas-White
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    I believe that should be
www.ronspads.com
Thanks!
David Erbas-White
Howdy wrote:

sorry, new keyboard is smaller, making lots of typo's, WWW.ronspads.com it is
David Erbas-White wrote:

Hi,
The ronspads recommendation if a very good one but I bought a small pad from the launchpad company with a rail adapter for $200.00 including shipping. I got a 6' rail from McMasters for roughly $30.00 including shipping. You might take a look here for another choice: http://rap.midco.net/omalley12653 / Be aware he is a one man shop and it took me close to two months before I got the pad. Built like a tank though. Does arachneering mean you are an arachnid or spider fan?
Kurt Savegnago
Kurt wrote:

Thanks, I'm not in a hurry, just want to find the 'right' fit...

It was a failed outsourcing idea I had -- supposed to be 'engineers on the web'
David Erbas-White

Kurt wrote:

A rhetorical question comes to mind...
We build our own rockets, we make our own ignitors, and some even make their own motors, so why not make your own launch pad and launch system?
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:

Re:
Not all of us are expert welders and would take too much time, effort and money to learn to do so. This $200.00 pad will probably last me for my entire career. I am kicking myself in the head as my paternal grandfather was the foreman in charge of all the crews of the Northern Illinois Gas Company now known as NICOR. He retired in 1969 after 48 years and is now deceased at age 98. He was an expert welder and I was too stupid to ask him to show me how. He would have, but somehow, as a dumb teenager, that hot temperature scared me and I never asked. I enjoyed watching him work on tasks around his house, my dad's shop and our house but I just didn't have the gumption to ask. I regret that to this day as it could have been a legacy of skill passed on but now is lost to me. :(
Kurt Savegnago
Kurt wrote:

My first pad I made was back in my modrocs days of the 70's. Made it out of metal girders from a old erector set. After I wore that out I used simple angle iron from a old bed found doing some dumspter diving. Both of these pads were built totally with out welding. I just used a hand drill and some bolts. At the last IEAS launch I was at(over a year ago) they had some pretty nifty pads made of PVC tubing.
Still plenty of time to learn to weld, Kurt. Plenty of online resources to tap. Depending on where you lives I bet there's a local school that teaches the basics.
Your never too old to learn!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Something else to consider: An HPR pad would make a GREAT project for a high school metals shop class. I'd bet if you showed some plans to an instructor, and popped for the materials cost, that you could get some students to build you the pads. And maybe get them interested in rockets while you do it!
Bob Kaplow wrote:
Bob (and Ted),
You don't seem to get it -- it's a simple matter of economics. And by economics, I mean the resources of my life.
I'm not rich. I'm not even sure I'm well off. And I have more of a tendency to 'do-it-yourself' than 99% of the people I know. I'm an electronics engineer, and over my lifetime most of my equipment has been built, not bought (for example). I've rebuilt my own car transmissions by hand, in my driveway (including an automatic) -- not because I couldn't afford otherwise, but because I wanted to learn. I rebuilt my engine in my first car before I'd done my first tune-up on it (but that's another story <G>). I'm one of those who wire-wrapped an S100 computer, etc. (and I know that some of the very few people who've done similar things are probably in this group).
That having been said, it is MY CHOICE to have someone else build a launch pad for me. I have built many launch pads over the years, controllers, etc., but at the present time I need a sturdy, rail-capable pad, and I have neither the tools, time, nor experience, to make the kind of robust pad that I would like. I do my share (more than my share, frankly) in giving back to the community and to helping teach the next generation about rocketry, space, aviation, etc., so I don't feel 'obligated' to try and give a local school a 'project' to work on -- and it given the level of bureaucracy these days, I'd probably be able to build one by hand (learning welding and everything else) faster than I could get something like that 'approved' by the local school system.
I CHOOSE which fields of endeavor that interest me, and where I'd like to spend 'additional time'. Building a launch pad is not one of them. Yes, learning to weld would be 'positive' and 'interesting', but the reality is that is true of MANY things in live. I have other interests outside of rocketry, let alone working at a job and trying to raise a family. So, it is my CHOICE to follow this.
And, by the way, your argument falls apart unless you go out and mine the ore, smelt the iron, design your welding/cutting equipment, etc. You CHOOSE to get those things through the work of others, because it's more ECONOMICAL (in terms of time, money, and other resources) for you to do so. Where, exactly, is the difference here?
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

Time is one thing to which I totally can relate to. But what we're trying to explain to you is that you don't need to know how to weld, mine ore, or smelt iron to build a decent HPR pad with a rail.
Hell, RayD does it with a old coffee can, a rod and cement. Not a rail but it seams to work him. Bet the same can be done with a rail.
Now, you want a decent HPR pad that handles a rail, right? This can be done on a L1, maybe a L2 scale with simple effort and tools you already probably have in your workshop. Think me with here; some pvc tubing, basic nuts-n-bolts from the local hardware shop, and of course your McMaster rail. Take less time to build such a pad than it does for a simple L1 bird.
By all means if your set on it it purchase a killer pad that costs some coin then do so. What Bob and I are trying to explain here that it *doesn't* require serious coin and major metal fabrication and time to accomplish what this, or need to accomplish here with a HPR rail launch pad.
The most extreme form of engineering and downright frugal and genius engineering I've ever experienced is what rocketeers have done with what whats on hand. My god, Bob's Astron Workshop is bible for such activities!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Now my head's going to be swolen for a week :-)
On 14 Oct 2005 12:27:31 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

It has been a few years since my last visit to Bob's Astron workshop. However, my impression is that Bob is more a use the right tool for the right job kind of guy, rather than extreme or genius engineering. On the MR/HPR scale, Bob is comfortably above average in engendering. His impressive workshop embodies his philosophy and building talents.
I hope i've eased the cranial swelling just a bit. ;)
Alan

Hardly.
But if my feet ever do return to the ground, other rocketeers that happen to find themselves in the far NW suburbs should get in touch. Tours can be aranged in most cases. Although right now, the place is a disaster area...

Frackin' spell checker. :(

Alan Jones wrote:

You mean, Bob isn't an engendering expert?