Piano wire

What kind of steel is piano wire? I can go into a hobby shop and buy a

3-ft (streight) length of 1/4" piano wire (used for making model airplane landing gear!), and I suspect it would make a good edge for a blade.

John

Reply to
John O. Kopf

It's plain old high carbon steel. 1095 or 1085, thereabouts.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Yeah what TJ said. :)

ASM (and ASTM?) distinquishes between "music wire" and "piano wire".

"music wire" is hard drawn (not Q&T) 1085 to 1095 carbon steel. "piano wire" is more expensive and is hard drawn 50100 to 52100.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj