Piano wire in metric sizes

Can anyone provide a source of small amounts of piano wire in metric sizes ?

I'm looking for 4.0, 5.0 and 5.5mm diameter.

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Harris

Most model shops do it in meter (or perhaps 3') lengths. Those that deal in model aircraft, anyway.

Nobby

Reply to
Nobby Anderson

Just be careful if you buy it mail-order, a lot of the 'piano' wire sold at present is ground finish high-ish tensile something that is very much not proper, drawn piano-wire. The difference may be acceptable depending on your use.

Richard

Richard Shute

I think most of what I have seen in model shops is still sold in swg. sizes.

While we are on the subject does anyone know of a source for very fine piano wire 0.010, 0.015 & 0.020" the finest of which is around 33swg as all the suppliers I have looked at don't go much below 26swg. Need to make some springs for a few model hit & miss engines.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

Reply to
tomol

from jasonballamy

list 'M' - Music Grade High Carbon wire but their web site doesn't give details of the range available. However, they do state in their 'Cut to Length' section that they supply as small as 0.1mm dia x 1.0mm long up to 10mm dia x 3m.

have a very large range and certainly down to

0.1mm - Stainless (304) down to 0.08mm - but they a site search for 'Piano' returned no results.

I've used 'Wires' in the past and had superb service but not 'Knights'.

JG

Reply to
JG

Guitar strings - the plain ones go from 0.008 up to 0.020 ish

Reply to
FatFreddie

Look for a company that makes springs.

Reply to
F Murtz

Thanks for the information guys.

I've still not been able to find a supplier online, so I guess it's back to the good old dog and bone and ringing round the steel stockists.

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Harris

Reply to
John s.

It is just spring steel, any hobby shop or if you want bigger amounts try a spring making company.

Reply to
F Murtz

Lots of shops seem to sell it, but all of them were in imperial sizes.

I did eventually find a couple of online suppliers who could provide the sizes I required.

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Harris