securing a 25# LG

I just got the use of a 25# late model Mayer Bros. (just like Little Giant) hammer. It just showed up at my shop door today. The owner
says it needs to be restrained from walking around, and common practice is to bolt it to the floor. I really don't want to do that. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a way to stop such a hammer from moving. Maybe a rubber pad? I'm planning to lag bolt the base to a piece of glue lam, both to deaden the vibration a little and also to raise it up a little. My shop isn't big enough to go bolting things to the floor - when something goes in or out everything has to move!
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

You could hop down to Pac Industrial and get a couple of super high load casters and simply leave it on wheels. Build a cart that has heavy screw jacks in the corners with rubber pads on the feet. Roll it where you want it and then screw down the jacks to keep it from wandering.

Do you have anything overhead to brace to? If you have open joists, fabricate a screw jack which puts pressure on the top of the machine up to a 2x laid flat under the joists to provide springy resistance. Gary Brady Austin, TX
Grant, you could leave it here in my shop, I'll make sure it don't walk around!! < big grin> green with envy take care! tt
Many people bolt them to a platform made of 3 or 4 railroad ties.
I glued my 50# LG to the floor 10 years ago and it hasn't gone anywhere. If you are interested in details, email me.
Pete Stanaitis -------------