Strikers for Flint and steel Needed

:-D
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Chilla
Aw don't be like that Trevor. Who knows what will happen.
I never thought I'd be talking to a world base of like minded individuals, but here we are. The worlds a small place these days.
Regards Charles P.S. Please forgive me for waxing lyrical I'll try not to do it again ;-)
Reply to
Chilla
Tell ya' what... a good striker gives me a woodie :-D
We need more coffee, stout and alcoholic ginger beer... in the same glass. Basically we need to chill a little, or take it off list.
OFGS. You've been dealing with re-enactors for 10 years, you should have a thicker skin by now. I've been dealing with re-enactors for more than 25 years and Trevor has nothing on them when it comes to complaints.
If something really upsets you then deal with it off list with the individual concerned. I've made some fairly good friends from disputes resolved off list.
If you bugger off, the only person that misses out is yourself.
Regards Charles
Reply to
Chilla
I think being blunt is the way to go when you need information, life's too short.
I would have thought that some of the other posts would have got him started.
There's no point in calling anyone names, but sometimes people resort to it. Don't know why, don't really care, I can always ignore a thread.
Hitting metal and brewing beer these days, I don't seem to have any stress, and I'm not as sensitive (maybe old age too).
Regards Charles
Reply to
Chilla
He's not a blacksmith, otherwise he'd be making them himself.
I honestly thought he'd have a thicker skin than that, dealing with re-enactors for 10 years should have given him a hide like a rhinoceros. I been dealing with re-enactors for more than 25 and you have to develop a think skin or you definitely wont last.
I couldn't make one striker for $7, let alone $3.50, it sounds like he was trying to save a buck and assumed that we could make it cheaper.
Hand made is more expensive, unless you use Indian/Pakastani child slave labour, or Asian sweat shops.
I will assume that the strikers have been obtained from Pakistan, India or Asia.
Definitely nothing wrong with the craftsmanship, maybe issues with raw material quality.
He could have gotten them from a machine shop, and are not hand made, but done with forming machines in a production run.
Of course I'm just speculating ;-)
Regards Charles
Reply to
Chilla
I'm in the US an am a full time blacksmith. I responded privately to the request for quote on the strikers. The question made perfect sense to me and is how I sometimes get questions. Those of us who do this full time are quite capable of making quality strikers within this price range. Maybe that's why we are doing this and others are hobbyist. Chilla wrote:
Reply to
mark
I suppose it depends on where your experience lays. I do more work on blades, and castings than I do on bending metal.
So you can make strikers for $3.50... wow. I suppose I can churn out a quality knife for about $5, that's with a burl grip, and brass or bronze fittings. Handsome, not a work of art, but functional. You have to pay for pretty ;-)
Just curious what style striker would that be, a Frankish design, Viking, ACW?
Regards Charles
Reply to
Chilla
I have no doubt that they can be made at that kind of price. My point was that I would not.
A guy that was set up for, and had the mindset for, producing maximum number of parts, could breeze through this contract.
I'm in it as a hobby, and as such "I" am not inclined towards production. For work, I do other things.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
It would be for a simple c shape. Just like you said you have to pay for pretty. I charge more if I need to take more heats or spend more time hammering, bending and curling. Part of knowing how to charge for my work is making prototypes to find time needed to make the part. Then figure the stock cost and and add time per part times shop rate. This is at my shop but at the reenactments I make stuff the camp needs on the fly. It can be a challenge but fun.
Mark
Chilla wrote:
Reply to
mark
Trevor Jones wrote in news:roGgh.76362$hn.71583 @edtnps82:
"Work" is a four-letter-word.
Reply to
Eregon
So is "poor"!
I'll take work instead.
Just not at the forge making a hundred or a thousand at a time of any one thing for wholesale prices.
I get the impression that the fellow from mtforge thinks that we are hobbyists because we cannot make these for that price, when (at least for me) the truth is just that we won't.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones wrote in news:Ld0hh.66904$YV4.22018 @edtnps89:
Uh HUH!
When I retired, I figgered that I only had just so much time left to me and came up with a truly exorbitant value for each minute.
I got into metal-bashing by way of knives - I couldn't find the precise blade I wanted so I began making my own - when I wanted to make something (for myself) that simple stock removal wouldn't achieve the desired result.
FWIW, I've picked up a number of skills that way...
I've also learned to "back off" from projects that would consume more of my valuable [to me] time than I was willing to expend.
Reply to
Eregon