Swordsmithing

*snip*

Charcoal is the go
How are you for space around your neck of the woods? You might be able to make your own... here are some URLS
http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/MAKING%20CHARCOAL.htm
link courtesy of Ecnerwal
As for myself, I live in the suburbs and cranking up a fire that size would not only annoy my neighbours but could quite possibly torch my house down... and its bushfire season here in australia so i'm not going to take any chances....
Let me know how you go, it might be a cheaper way of doing it and then all you need to do is go for a walk and collect firewood.... simple! :)
I'm basically negative about humanity in general so forgive my tone and don't take it personal unless you feel you deserve it. Your opening premis when you started this thread leads me to not take you serious. First, there is a tonne of good and necessary material on the web to read on the subject of swordsmithing I've been at it for a couple of years now and there is plenty more to read. When you say you can't find anything then I take that to mean you don't have the patience to find and read it. Patience you will need in abundance if you are serious about being a bladesmith.
Then you carry on about not having any money. You will need to spend some. Get over it. Spend some of it on books and spend more on tools and materials. Make due without while you are without - it builds character and fosters creativity. If you are serious you won't let these things get in the way.
When somebody tells you about how difficult it is and how long it takes to make a swordsmith. That means they are telling you you probably don't have what it takes so give up now :-) They may be right - you figure it out.
I don't think it is all *that* difficult. Doesn't mean I'm any good at it. Just that I got started and I have something to show for it. It takes bit of the obsessive/compulsive in yourself to carry yourself into that kind of thing and stick with it. It takes a lot of educating yourself in things you never expected to be learning or to need. It takes sweat, persistence, blisters and failures.
good luck

out

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/swords_faq_index.htm
Well, I agree with Spaco, the best thing to do is to find some other smiths in your area. In addition to ABANA, you might try some local Rennaisance Fair/Society for Creative Anacronism groups, as they sometimes have blacksmiths around. If you're lucky, there might be a blacksmithing business somewhere in your vacinity. Or maybe a knifemaker. If so, give them a call and ask for a tour.
Just a thought, maybe you could start out making knives before moving on to swords? You can make a perfectly acceptable knifes out of old leaf springs. I think if you start out and make a few "good enough" knifes, then you can gradually progress to a "perfect" sword. That way you're learning as you go along, and you keep your expenses a little lower as you start.
You're going to have a very hard time doing it if you don't even have enough money for a library card, though. (Unless library cards are very expensive where you live).
You're going to need to buy a few hammers, an old anvil or railroad rail, or at least a hunk of iron you can pound on, a few files, coal/propane, etc... You can pull it off on a budget, but you're going to have to spend something.
Good luck!
In responce to spaco's suggestion, my location is Canada, Bc, surrey. And thanks for the advice spaco :D.
http://forums.dfoggknives.com / http://bladeforums.com/forums
somewhere there is a forum specifically for swords.
You should start with some basic smithing and knife making first.
I think those links are right
BigHammerBoy wrote:

At Burnaby Historic Village there is a blacksmith organization which may be able to help you. I belong to the Vancouver Island Blacksmith Assn and we have people who do nearly every aspect of smithing and you may find out that it is a broader and more interesting endevour than just "making a sword". You should be able to get there on the Skytrain and bus. Doug

Thank you all for your comments, direction, and critasism. Doug Roberts? If you could send me an email with a little more information, it would be appericiated. my full email is snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm, a phone number would be appericiated as well, so I could give you a call, maybe ask a few more questions.
BigHammerBoy wrote:

Well, let's talk about design and function for a byte or three. A sword is a wedge mounted on a lever. Its purpose is to divide materials; defensive coverings, flesh and bone, internal organs. It is driven by muscle contraction on the part of the weilder which imparts kinetic energy to the cutting radius. This energy is transfered to the target in a very concentrated manner, which excedes the yield strength of the target, causing structural failure. How effeciently this action occurs is dependent on several quantifiable factors. Get out the physics book and brush up on solid geometry and structural properties of materials. If you really want to learn, I'll help you. There's nothing mystical or 'supernatural', just science. The only dumb question is the unasked one, fire away.
Charly
Of course the swords glow in the dark, that's how you can tell that they're magick.
Charly the Bastard wrote: The only dumb question is

whats depleted Uranium like for forging? ;.)
--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
bigegg wrote:

You'll have to ask the DoD, I don't want to be in the same state as DU. I can think of a lot of materials that are much less risky to work with. My nads glow enough already.
Charly
(snip)

Well just being in the same state with it isn't a big deal. As long as it in blocks and not dust it is fairly safe. Mild alpha emitter, and your skin will stop that. Machining or forging is a problem for sure though.         Todd
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:03:46 +0000, Charly the Bastard opined:

Unless one is Musashi, one has also to consider parrying. That wedge mustn't simply be optimized for dividing. Toss in a smidge of linear programming to back off the wedginess in favor of strength.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

That's what shields are for. Of course, one can't expect a piece of sharpened sheetmetal to blow through casehardened steel body armor, so there are compromises to be discussed in future messages. My swords have an included bevel angle of 22 degrees, which testing has shown to be a nearly optimized angle for penetrating steel. Turn your coupe into a convertible in a half dozen good strokes. YMMV.
Charly
Thank you all for your comments, direction, and critasism. Doug Roberts? If you could send me an email with a little more information, it would be appericiated. my full email is snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm, a phone number would be appericiated as well, so I could give you a call, maybe ask a few more questions.
Re: Swordsmithing
AM
[...]
I don't have any money, but I'm not saying I'm willing to give up. I was hoping that someone would come out and tell me how someone made basic tools when all people had was stone, ore, and fire. I'll build myself up from the very basics if I have to.
And quite frankly I don't care if YOU take me seriously or not. All I need is INFO that I can research, because I DO take it seriously.
BigHammerBoy wrote:

As Greyangel said, it's all out there. Have you done Google searches? You should be able to find info on digging clay to make a furnace, how to find iron ore, load your furnace, pour some iron...you can pound the bloom out on a rock to get the slag out. Then you have wrought iron, add some carbon and make steel. Pretty soon (a year or two of experience) you'll have material that will make a halfway strong blade (halfway).
Here, this will get you started: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=iron+pour&btnG=Search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=sword+making&btnG=Search Here's a better route: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=junkyard+steel&btnG=Search
Steve