2008 SolidCam Post

I'm having an issue with my posts on parts with non tangent radii, for example a cube with rounded, but non tangent corners or round shapes with a small flat on one side. When I post such parts, my Gcode shows three arcs instead of one. The three arcs approximate the correct single arc, but are quite visible. If I add even a tiny, say 0.005" fillet, before and after the non tangent arc, the problem goes away. The post works fine on shapes with tangent arcs and on full circles. My machine, (an old Hurco), uses absolute arc parameters and I and J coding. Pretty new to Solidcam and G code so this is a mystery to me....Probably something wrong with my .gpp but I don't know what.

Reply to
oldjag

Am I correct in assuming the 0.005" arcs will be tangential and you will or should still have 3 lines of arc code.

I am not familiar with Solidcam or its post processors but if you can look into the PP is there a line of code which lays down the criteria for arcs.

Reply to
Ken Tukyfriedturkey

Actually, after putting in the 0.005" fillets, the fillets do not appear in the code, and the non-tangent arcs then become correctly represented by one arc each in the code. I'm not sure of the reason the 0.005' fillets do not appear in the output code. I think it might be below the minimum arc lenght threshold setting. I've looked at the arc settings in the MAC and .gpp post proccessor files and can't identify why this is occurring. Probably a simple answer for someone who has some SolidCam post experience.

Reply to
oldjag

Could be a Hurco problem, noticing facets on the arcs? Are you using cutter comp? That could be an issue, Old controls sometimes have a hard time calculating non tangent geometry using cutter comp. There's quite a bit of math for every different situation. Your Hurco does not have conversational input? Thats their strong point.

Reply to
cncmillgil

The problem is in the G code output, not the machine. I see the "extra" arcs in the G code.

Reply to
oldjag

Actually, after putting in the 0.005" fillets, the fillets do not appear in the code, and the non-tangent arcs then become correctly represented by one arc each in the code. I'm not sure of the reason the 0.005' fillets do not appear in the output code. I think it might be below the minimum arc lenght threshold setting. I've looked at the arc settings in the MAC and .gpp post proccessor files and can't identify why this is occurring. Probably a simple answer for someone who has some SolidCam post experience.

You say the 0.005's do not appear in the code as arcs, but do they appear as fine XY moves before and after the arc.

Reply to
Ken Tukyfriedturkey