CAM software

Less smoke -- less heat -- more light

for entire article click on

============== CAM Software Market Leaders Named by CIMdata

ANN ARBOR, Michigan, June 3, 2008 ? In the recently-released Version 17 of the NC Software and Related Services Market Assessment Report, consulting and research firm CIMdata Inc. named the worldwide CAM software market leaders for 2007 and projected those expected to be market leaders in 2008. For 2007, Dassault Systèmes was the market leader on the basis of both vendor revenues received and end-user payments for CAM software and services, CNC Software was the leader on the basis of industrial seats shipped, and Planit Holdings was the leader on the basis of industrial seats installed. SolidCAM was named as the most rapidly-growing vendor.

Mr. Alan Christman, CIMdata Chairman and primary author of the report noted that, ?Even though there have been a number of recent mergers and acquisitions, the CAM software market continues to be highly-fragmented and competitive. There is no single vendor or small group of vendors that dominate the worldwide market. CIMdata tracks approximately 50 CAM software vendors and the rankings in the Report each list 20-30 vendors, depending upon the category.

================ Anyone here using Dassault Systèmes [CATIA] or Planit Holdings programs?

F. George McDuffee

Certainly. Did you expect less from professionals? BTW, how did you manage the accent grav?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

============= In this case I cut and pasted from the web site.

You can also use an included windows program called charmap.exe normally located in c:\winnt\system32. I put the icon in the tool bar.

You can also use the alt + number keypad combination. Hard to do on a portable [without numerical keypad] (hold down alt + 138 [keypad only] release) = è see

many sites

You can also select an international keyboard with the dead key diacritical markings. You can hot key switch between the keyboards. Click on start -> settings -> control panel ->

keyboard -> input local. (I like Brasilian ABNT2 Portuguese.) To use you press the diacritical mark you want [in this case lowercase tilde] nothing will print, then when you press the e key you will get the è. To get the mark itself e.g. " (which generates an umlaut) you need to press the space key.

There are probably a lot more ways.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

John:

ALT 130 = é

From a post I made years ago:

======================================================== To All:

Hold down the ALT key, and type in the numbers on the keypad, then let up on the ALT key to get the following symbols.

ALT + 0153 = ? ALT + 0169 = © ALT + 0174 = ® ALT + 0177 = ± ALT + 0178 = ² ALT + 0179 = ³ ALT + 0186 = º ALT + 0188 = ¼ ALT + 0189 = ½ ALT + 0190 = ¾ ALT + 253 = ² ALT + 248 = ? ALT + 246 = ÷ ========================================================

Some other symbols:

BottleBob

CIMData charges CADCAM companies to review their products. They are by no means objective or accurate. Occasionally a CADCAM company might provide Alan Christman / CIMData with some interesting info about their product but it's rare.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Yes use both.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I heard that stuff was used mainly in the auto industry?

Reply to
vinny

Dassault & Planit Holdings offer quite a few programs, some may be associated with auto industry not all.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I always learn something new from you Bob. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry:

Heh, why thank you. Glad some of my scribblings could be informative/entertaining. I also learned something new from you the other day about DMU's having sight glasses on some of their machines. I've always thought trading knowledge was the main point of this newsgroup. I even made a sig. about this sort thing some time ago, let me see if I can dig it up.

#95 Help provided Machinists guided Shared ideas and tools Alt.machines.cnc rules!

Reply to
BottleBob

==== I was under the impression that CATIA was mainly an aero-space product. Dassault is a major French Aero-space company, but I don't know if this is the same Dassault.

to be very good for fitting parts/sub-assemblies together, and for engineering [FAE] model generation. Also there seems to be a super BOM add-on. All of which would be good for automotive.

Anyone know for sure?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Chrysler and Ford were CATIA houses and as far as I know, still are.

Installed Products Library

ABT - CATIA - AUTOMOTIVE BODY IN WHITE TEMPLATES 2 Product AMG - CATIA - ADVANCED MACHINING 2 Product ANR - DMU ENGINEERING ANALYSIS REVIEW 2 Product AS1 - CATIA - ASSEMBLY DESIGN 1 Product ASD - CATIA - ASSEMBLY DESIGN 2 Product BK2 - CATIA - Business Process Knowledge Template 2 Product C12 - CATIA - COM 1 to 2 EXTENSION Product CBD - CATIA - CIRCUIT BOARD DESIGN 2 Product CC1 - CATIA - CADAM INTERFACE 1 Product CCV - CATIA - CORE & CAVITY DESIGN 2 Product CD1 - CATIA - Instant Collaborative Design 1 Product CFO - CATIA - CAST & FORGED PART OPTIMIZER 2 Product CNA - CATIA - Compartment and Access 2 Product CPE - CATIA - COMPOSITES ENGINEERING 2 Product CPM - CATIA - COMPOSITES DESIGN for MANUFACTURING 2 Product DF1 - CATIA - Product Data Filtering 1 Product DL1 - CATIA - DEVELOPED SHAPES 1 Product DMN - CATIA - DMU NAVIGATOR 2 Product DMO - DMU OPTIMIZER 2 Product DN1 - CATIA - DMU NAVIGATOR 1 Product DSE - CATIA - DIGITIZED SHAPE EDITOR 2 Product DSS - CATIA - Shape Sculptor 2 Product E5I - ENOVIA Plug-In Product EC1 - CATIA - Electrical 3D Design & Documentation 1 Product ECR - CATIA - ELECTRICAL CABLEWAY ROUTING 2 Product EFD - CATIA - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FUNCTIONAL DEFINITION 2 Product EHF - CATIA - ELECTRICAL HARNESS FLATTENING 2 EHI - CATIA - ELECTRICAL HARNESS INSTALLATION 2 Product ELB - CATIA - ELECTRICAL LIBRARY 2 Product ELD - CATIA - ELECTRICAL CONNECTIVITY DIAGRAMS 2 Product EQT - CATIA - EQUIPMENT ARRANGEMENT 2 Product ESS - CATIA - EQUIPMENT SUPPORT STRUCTURES 2 Product EST - CATIA - ELFINI STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 2 Product EW1 - CATIA - ENOVIA Work Package Exchange 1 Product EWE - CATIA - ENOVIA Work Package Exchange 2 Product EWR - CATIA - ELECTRICAL WIRE ROUTING 2 Product FAR - DMU FASTENING REVIEW 2 Product FIT - DMU FITTING SIMULATOR 2 Product FLX - CATIA - FLEX PHYSICAL SIMULATION 2 Product FM1 - CATIA - FUNCTIONAL MOLDED PARTS 1 Product FMD - CATIA - FEM SOLID 2 Product FMP - CATIA - FUNCTIONAL MOLDED PARTS 2 Product FMS - CATIA - FEM SURFACE 2 Product FR1 - CATIA - PART DESIGN FEATURES RECOGNITION 1 Product FS1 - CATIA - FREESTYLE SHAPER 1 Product FSK - CATIA - FREESTYLE SKETCH TRACER 1 Product FSO - CATIA - FREESTYLE OPTIMIZER 2 Product FSP - CATIA - FREESTYLE PROFILER 2 Product FSS - CATIA - FREESTYLE SHAPER 2 Product FT1 - CATIA - 3D FUNCTIONAL TOLERANCING & ANNOTATION 1 Product FTA - CATIA - 3D FUNCTIONAL TOLERANCING & ANNOTATION 2 Product GAS - CATIA - GENERATIVE ASSEMBLY STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 2 Product GD1 - CATIA - GENERATIVE DRAFTING 1 Product GDR - CATIA - GENERATIVE DRAFTING 2 Product GDY - CATIA - GENERATIVE DYNAMIC RESPONSE ANALYSIS 2 Product GP1 - CATIA - GENERATIVE PART STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 1 Product GPS - CATIA - GENERATIVE PART STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 2 Product GS1 - CATIA - GENERATIVE SHAPE DESIGN 1 Product GSD - CATIA - GENERATIVE SHAPE DESIGN 2 Product GSO - CATIA - GENERATIVE SHAPE OPTIMIZER 2 Product HA1 - CATIA - HEALING ASSISTANT 1 Product HAA - HUMAN ACTIVITY ANALYSIS 2 Product HBR - HUMAN BUILDER 2 Product HGR - CATIA - HANGER DESIGN 2 Product HME - HUMAN MEASUREMENTS EDITOR 2 Product HPA - HUMAN POSTURE ANALYSIS 2 Product HVA - CATIA - HVAC DESIGN 2 Product HVD - CATIA - HVAC DIAGRAMS 2 Product ID1 - CATIA - INTERACTIVE DRAFTING 1 Product IG1 - CATIA - IGES INTERFACE 1 Product IMA - CATIA - Imagine & Shape 2 Product KE1 - CATIA - KNOWLEDGE EXPERT 1 Product KIN - DMU KINEMATICS SIMULATOR 2 Product KT1 - CATIA - PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE TEMPLATE 1 Product KWA - CATIA - KNOWLEDGE ADVISOR 2 Product KWE - CATIA - KNOWLEDGE EXPERT 2 Product LG1 - CATIA - LATHE MACHINING 1 Product LMG - CATIA - LATHE MACHINING 2 Product LO1 - CATIA - 2D LAYOUT for 3D DESIGN 1 Product MLG - MULTI-SLIDE LATHE MACHINING 2 Product MMG - CATIA - MULTI-AXIS SURFACE MACHINING 2 Product MPA - CATIA - PRISMATIC MACHINING PREPARATION ASSISTANT 2 PRODUCT MPG - CATIA - Multi-pocket Machining 2 Product MTD - CATIA - MOLD TOOLING DESIGN 2 Product NCG - CATIA - NC MANUFACTURING REVIEW 2 Product NG1 - CATIA - NC MANUFACTURING REVIEW 1 Product NVG - CATIA - NC VERIFICATION 2 Product PD1 - CATIA - PART DESIGN 1 Product PDG - CATIA - PART DESIGN 2 Product PEO - CATIA - PRODUCT ENGINEERING OPTIMIZER 2 Product PFD - CATIA - PRODUCT FUNCTION DEFINITION 2 Product PFO - CATIA - PRODUCT FUNCTION OPTIMIZER 2 Product PG1 - CATIA - PRISMATIC MACHINING 1 Product PHS - PHOTO STUDIO 2 Product PID - CATIA - PIPING & INSTRUMENTATION DIAGRAMS 2 Product PIP - CATIA - PIPING DESIGN 2 Product PKT - CATIA - PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE TEMPLATE 2 Product PLO - CATIA - PLANT LAYOUT 1 Product PMG - CATIA - PRISMATIC MACHINING 2 Product PSO - Photo Studio Optimizer 2 Product PX1 - CATIA - PPR PDM Gateway 1 Product QSR - CATIA - QUICK SURFACE RECONSTRUCTION 2 Product RCD - CATIA - RACEWAY & CONDUIT DESIGN 2 Product RSO - CATIA - REALISTIC SHAPE OPTIMIZER 2 Product RT1 - REAL TIME RENDERING 1 Product RTR - REAL TIME RENDERING 2 Product SDD - CATIA - SHIP STRUCTURE DETAIL DESIGN 2 Product SDI - CATIA - SYSTEMS DIAGRAMS 2 Product SFD - CATIA - STRUCTURE FUNCTIONAL DESIGN 2 Product SH1 - CATIA - SHEETMETAL PRODUCTION 1 Product SM1 - CATIA - SHEETMETAL DESIGN 1 Product SMD - CATIA - SHEETMETAL DESIGN 2 Product SMG - CATIA - 3 AXIS SURFACE MACHINING 2 Product SP1 - DMU SPACE ANALYSIS 1 Product SPA - DMU SPACE ANALYSIS 2 Product SPE - CATIA - DMU SPACE ENGINEERING ASSISTANT 2 Product SPL - CATIA STRUCTURE PRELIMINARY LAYOUT 2 Product SR1 - CATIA - STRUCTURE DESIGN 1 Product SRT - CATIA - SYSTEMS ROUTING 1 Product SSR - CATIA - SYSTEMS SPACE RESERVATION 2 Product ST1 - CATIA - STEP CORE INTERFACE 1 Product STC - CATIA - STRIM/STYLER TO CATIA INTERFACE 2 Product STL - CATIA - STL RAPID PROTOTYPING 2 Product TG1 - CATIA - TOOLING DESIGN 1 Product TL1 - CATIA - STL RAPID PROTOTYPING 1 Product TUB - CATIA - TUBING DESIGN 2 Product TUD - CATIA - TUBING DIAGRAMS 2 Product WAV - CATIA - WAVE GUIDE DESIGN 2 Product WD1 - CATIA - WELD DESIGN 1 Product WGD - CATIA - Waveguide Diagrams 2 Product WS1 - CATIA - WIREFRAME & SURFACE 1 Product

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Started in aerospace.

Dassault Systems is a separate publicly traded corporation.

Some major players in auto, aerospace and other industries use CATIA.

(Similar to UG the average customer is more than 100 seats)

History:

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Toyota, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Honda

---------

Sony, Airbus, Boeing,

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

CIMData charges CADCAM companies to review their products. They are by no means objective or accurate. Occasionally a CADCAM company might provide Alan Christman / CIMData with some interesting info about their product but it's rare.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

BAE is running CADDS

Reply to
John R. Carroll

CIMdata Equals-> Lots of smoke, many mirrors, light only when a CADCAM company decides to *pay* Alan Christman and CIMdata and give him some honest information.

Investigative, objective, honest reporting from Alan Christman / CIMdata... not a chance.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I didn't know that Bill. I wonder how well the integration is, not that that would be a real issue.

All of the A380 stuff I worked on was CADDS and CATIA. Haven't done anything more recent than that.

Get this, LMSSC up in Sunnyvale is using Ideas. LOL

Reply to
John R. Carroll

CIMdata Equals-> Lots of smoke, many mirrors, light only when a CADCAM company decides to *pay* Alan Christman and CIMdata and give him some honest information.

Investigative, objective, honest reporting from Alan Christman / CIMdata... not a chance.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Here is someone who says he changed from Mastercam to OneCNC and no doubt many idiots will take what this CADCAM ignorant, lying, slimeball has to say without questioning it. He has some good points mixed in with his nonsense but the answer isn't and wasn't OneCNC. I wonder how many idiots believe all of this and think it's objective or accurate.

My guess is you have no idea what's correct and what's total bullshit in what he has to say below:

"A year or so went by and I had a need for 4 axis software, I began looking at other CAM software to fill this need as OneCNC did not at the time have this multi axis feature. I settled on Mastercam, first

9.1 and recently "X". After several weeks of trying to configure the post, and output good 4 axis code I finally gave up and bought about $300 worth of video instruction. Thankfully this was pretty well put together but I was astounded at the complexity of doing something as simple as indexing a rotary table. It literally took months until I felt comfortable running code through my machine. "X" has been no better.

This class of software in my opinion really requires the time and monetary investment in a training class to use with any confidence, and even then the time investment to do even simple tasks is simply not reasonable given the state of manufacturing today. I have even gone back and looked at other software again but the more I look the more I see the same thing over and over. Tool pathing made much more complex than it needs to be, verification that does not truly represent the code that will be output, and interfaces that look they were designed to confuse rather than guide a user from one objective to the next.

It needs to be said that like a lot of shop owners I neither have the time nor inclination to sit at a computer all day or night trying and fighting to get done what SHOULD take less than an hour.

Recently OneCNC released OneCNCXR2 which solved the problems I had with the other software. I sat at my computer with OneCNCXR2, and without even looking at a help file, or getting any guidance at all, I run full 4 axis and indexing part from raw solid model through tool path verification and out to the machine with success. This only took about an hour first try with OneCNCXR2. I don't use a 5 axis machine yet but the 5 axis tool paths are run the same as the 4th. The interface is designed to be obvious to anyone that has any exposure to CAD/CAM. If you want to machine a certain face, that face or a plane is picked and then whatever appropriate tool path is applied, full 3 axis, contour, drill pocket etc. To rotate the part another face or plane is picked and the process repeated as needed. There are no issues with the x axis not pointing the right way, no post issues that take weeks to resolve, and no week long classes and inch think manuals to digest.

When shopping for CAM software one must ask the question "what is the goal?" If the answer is "cut good parts" then OneCNC is the clear choice. If the answer is "take weeks long training classes and buy instructional books and video and pray I can learn all of these little nuances so I don't scrap the first ten parts" then maybe "X" or one of it's rivals is your cup of tea.

The icing on the cake is the price of OneCNC.

Verification is an essential part of any CAD/CAM system and with my "other" CAM software I was forced to buy a third party verification module because I kept getting gouges that would not show up in the stock verification, NCI files are used by most other CAD/CAM systems so what you see is not always what you get. With OneCNC what you see in verify is what your part will look like, in more than two years of using it I have never seen something on my part that did not show in verify.

It only takes the scrapping of one part that has four operations on it to realize the value of a good verify module. The best part is that it comes as part of the OneCNC software package, no third party costs or add-ons for what should be there in the first place."

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer