CNC Bridgeport with Heidenhein control

How hard is it to take the head off to make it stand lower? 8 ft will not fit through my garage door, fsck

    The repair mostly will take good schematic diagrams and good troubleshooting information in the manuals, and good test equipment (logic probes, oscilloscopes, and other such things.)
    As for fitting a newer control -- look into the EMC package running on a modified linux kernel with a real-time sub-kernel which runs the normal kernel as one task. The software is free. It runs on boxen which used to be Windows boxen. If the mill in question has servo motors instead of stepper motors, you will probably need something like the Servo-2-Go board (which can handle eight axes at need. Three for X, Y, and Z, another for spindle speed, and two more for something like a two rotary tables at right angles to each other. :-)

    Well ... my Bridgeport Series I (BOSS-3) CNC mill has the X-axis leadscrew (ball screw) locked stationary, and the nut is rotated around it in the saddle. This suggests that there is no practical way to fit handwheels to the existing leadscrews. The Y-axis one does rotate, but there is no exposed way to rotate it unless you take the cover off the belt guard and fit a handwheel.
    I don't know the Series II -- other than that it is larger. And the Heidenhein controller is newer than what my Series-I came with, which was a Bridgeport home brewed one built around a LSI-11 CPU and some custom wire wrap boards (which were later replaced with printed circuit boards).
    The price sounds good, if you can move it and have room for it, and with your familiarity with linux, the EMC package is probably the way to go.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
Warning! this is a top post, top post Nazi's please go to Lowes, buy a bag of sand, and pound it up your a**.
Iggy, I converted my lathe to EMC2 and plan to convert my mill to EMC2 in the future. Since my original control works, I plan to convert using the same connectors that are on the original controls. So, I can remove plugs and plug in my EMC2 control for trial and testing, if I need to run something, I can plug the cables back into the original control and go.
Since my original control works you may wonder why I would want to convert to EMC2. My Anilam control can handle 1000 moves in the program, the EMC2 control could handle much more. I have to program the Anilam control with a RS-232 cable, the EMC2 control can use flash drive, network, internet, etc, and programs can be saved on the hard drive. I could have 1000's of part programs and easily load by selecting the file to load. The most expensive part of the EMC2 control is the $199 board versus the much higher Crusader II boards. I can add I/O to the EMC2 control, it would cost hundreds to add I/O to the Anilam Control I can add control for a variable speed drive with the EMC2 control I can add a 4th, 5th and 6th axis with the EMC2 control. If I could make the mechanical part, I could add a tool changer to the EMC2 control.
So, there are many reasons to upgrade my control even though the old control runs fine. And by keeping compatible with the original controls I don't have to take my machine down while getting the new control functioning.
Just some stuff to consider
RogerN

RogerN, unless some magical event happens and old control is perfectly working after jiggling some cables, I will replace it with EMC2 as well. I have already set up a PC for EMC2 and printed out the manuals. It would seem that the extra hardware (besides a POS PC that I have anyway) costs only $500 or so.