Format 1 vs. Format 2

wrote:

what
not.
Ive never had any problems with stability, except when the part geometry was bad to begin with--then, very rarely there will be an odd toolpath when in cutter comp mode and without any alarm being generated.
--
SVL

was
Had several FADAL's that I worked with that constantly lost the ability to receive or send data. Shutting down the machines and restarting them always solved the problem. This occured at two shops I have worked at. I'd call this a bug in the FADAL control.
The FADAL control has good ideas, Sam but it's development never got to the point that FANUC or Haas have and now it's on to a new control with all new problems.
See:
www.cnczone.com ... the FADAL Forum that I requested and got when I was working with FADAL's awhile back.
jon
message

always
Never had this problem, unfailingly any problems as you describe have been because of faulty cabling except once, where the comm port had gone bad in the host computer.

the
I just can't condone the idea of selling "parameters" in order to "turn on options"....so..Haas and Fanuc can kiss my ass......
And as far as operator interface, I still think the ole blue Milacron was the bestest that was ever made.
I'm really not all that picky though...set em up, push the 'go button' and with pretty much all of them they make parts....for one off I would certainly prefer Fadal to Fanuc, and having no personal exp with Hass I can't give any comparison.
As to the "round and round" you mention, there is only a set number of menus, and they are ordered--in time, you memorize where they are so you know beforehand how many times to press the space bar,etc to arrive at the one you desire...though I admit, sometimes I might get in a hurry and go past the one I wanted so will have to go another round...in this case, I blame myself, not the controller--after all, I've been running that controller for near 10 years now--I SHOULD be able to work the panel, no ???
--
SVL

Jon,

always
There could be alot of causes for that. One that comes to mind is grounding. Fadals "are" touchy about how they're grounded. An improperly grounded Fadal can do all kinds of weird stuff.
Alot has to do with the firmware version as well. Like any other software, it can have bugs. The version my machine was shipped with is solid as a rock. Had the factory tech put in the latest spin about a year ago (free by the way). After he left I started a part set up, punching up the same utillities, and following a similar proceedure I've done a thousand times. All of a sudden, the table took off in the X and slammed against the limit. After I changed my underware, I put the old executive module back in. No problems since.
Kind of irresponsible on their part to even distribute something like that, but that's the only incident I've experienced in 18 years of using them.
Regards
Mark

grounding.
Fadal
by
limit.
that,
Mark,
Grounding wasn't the problem.
FADAL's former distributor for Arizona (Magna Machinery) ailenated many shops here and left a bad taste (lawsuit city) with several Phoenix area shops.
You won't hear Neal talk about Magna or what is documented at:
www.cnczone.com in the FADAL Forum.
I stand by what I said:
There simply is no comparison between a Haas control and a FADAL control.
I'm not a big Haas fan but the Haas control is well though out, rock solid and does not suffer from what FADAL's controls have a proven track record of suffering from.
jon
message

of
Jon,
Your making it difficult to say the least......not to jerk your chain-- but afaik aaaaaaaaai
I couldnt give a rats asss if someone else bought a hAAS machine...
--
SVL

control.
solid
record
but
Sam,
Many people are very loyal to FADAL because they view it as an affordable machine that they have made money with and as a machine that has given them the chance to start their own business.
While I do agree it's a more user friendly control than say a FANUC I don't feel the FADAL control is in the same class as a Haas control and it simply does not have the rock solid stability of a FANUC.
The control is just one aspect of a CNC machine. No one should buy a CNC machine just based on the control.
I have posted many times what kind of machine I favor as an affordable 2 1/2 axis production mill.... a used Matsuura with either a Fanuc or a Yasnac control.... neither of which are as good as the Haas control.
Does this make it easier or more difficult for you ? :>)
jon
message

I could have chosen any number of others.

I laugh at you... having much personal experience with the earlier Fanuc controls....
Does 'documentation' mean anything to you ???

Agreed...
At least one outfit has apparently made good in re-fitting the base machine.
http://www.kmac-parts.com/index.html

Makes little differn at all to me, probly.....I just feed it code.

The above question doesnt make any sense in this context.
--
SVL

machine.
Sam,
Such as ?

You wouldn't be the first to do so. ;>)

Sure but it doesn't have anything to do with stability.
Your point on pathetic documentation for a FANUC is certainly a valid one.

FADAL should offer to refit an existing machine for what it cost them when they properly develop their new control. Based on what is posted in www.cnczone.com in the FADAL Forum and based on e-mail I have recieved the new FADAL control has a long, long way to go.

Well, IIRC last we talked about BobCAD, I think you were going to get version 19. BobCAD has many similarities to FADAL.... they both move on before getting the bugs out of the older version and get the user to pay again and again for what they already paid for. Have a good friend that I work with that owns BobCAD version 19.... he's had enough.
jon
message

I considered Haas......then there were a lot of Bridgeport vmc selling in the mid 90's too...

I have the 94.1 version in two of our machines, and some sys99 ver in the other, no stability problems with either of them
No exp with the newer Fadals though except what Ive been told by another individual who has six of em...FWIW he wasnt been very happy with their newest controller.

<G>
Funny thing....is...I actually LIKE the -4 fadal controller, and I wouldn't buy a new Fadal BECAUSE of their newer controllers...
Buy an older linear way machine, rebuild the spindle, put new ways and screws onto it and I'm good to go....

Bobcad likely isn't gonna get any more of my money, either.
--
SVL

Good plan. I know a couple of dealers really well. I'll just leave it at that, and hope that they get their act together again.
Dan
jon banquer wrote:

Jon:
    Alternate perspectives are what make other people interesting. <g>

    I would have to agree. In my experience our Fadal controls are less stable than the Haas control. We have to restart our Fadals to recover from a lock up more often than the Haas.

    And the Haas has bugs that the Fadal doesn't have. We had the Haas lock up due to using a specific feed rate when we were machining some wheels. It was a repeatable fluke of a problem, but changing the feedrate cured it. I've also had a tool unclip error code on the Haas where I tool the sheet metal off the front of the machine and poked around for awhile at the innards, I didn't really do anything and it "healed" itself. It's done this twice, but it's been fine for about a year now.

    I think a lot of this is probably due to familiarity. You can't do a mid-program start on a Haas at a tool change without the Haas unnecessarily loading the prior tool. It's an easy fix though, just start on the next line AFTER the tool change.

    This is not a problem I personally encounter, since I do most all of my editing from the CAM system.

    I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

    Stability wasn't what I was referring to when I said the Haas control isn't all THAT much better than the Fadal control. I was referring to setup features; setting tool length offsets on the Fadal is easier since it allows you to input any setting gage size, and automatically puts the next tool to be set in the spindle, the Haas doesn't. Fixture offset setting with an edge finder is easier on a Fadal as they have special feature to accommodate different dia. edge finders, which the Haas doesn't have.     As far as inputting programs by RS-232, our Fadals are very stable in that regard. Our Haas burps about one out of 25 times and the program has to be sent a second time. We use an in-house built switchboard type of input devise.
-- BottleBob http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BB wrote:

Bob,
BD seems to be the kind of guy who gets a fierce sense of elitism and pride by doing things in a way he percieves to be difficult to others. He's been arrogantly thumbing his nose at us lesser mortals with our "sissy" machines and methods for years. Sorta like in some cultures, your not a man unless you can drink two fiifths of whisky and screw ten women in one night. Instead, your not a man unless you use a Fanuc control, and program in command line APT. Takes all kinds I guess.
On the positive side, he's probably very good at what he does. On the flip side, he's probably not much fun to work with.
Mark
| | BD seems to be the kind of guy who gets a fierce sense of elitism and | pride by doing things in a way he percieves to be difficult to | others. He's been arrogantly thumbing his nose at us lesser mortals | with our "sissy" machines and methods for years. Sorta like in some | cultures, your not a man unless you can drink two fiifths of whisky | and screw ten women in one night.
Oh crap, that's what I've been doing wrong! I've been screwing the whiskey and drinking the wimmin...
moT
Mark Mossberg wrote:

Isn't that why we all became machinists?

In some cultures you're not a man unless you can screw the same woman ten nights in a row :-) (without a drink 8-P )
fred
: In some cultures you're not a man unless you can screw the same woman : ten nights in a row :-) : (without a drink 8-P ) : I want to convert!
Kathy wrote:

LOL ....sorry Kathy, I made that one up. I don't even believe it would be physically possible :-)
ff wrote:

It must suck to be you. LOL
sittingduck wrote:

But I'm not the one who's reading a.m.c. at 3:25 a.m. Sunday morning LOL
fred
ff wrote:

You got something against creatures of the night?
--
Black Dragon

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.