Hard Milling Update

A while back I posted about a little part that required milling some 46- 49Rc stainless steel. I programmed it and set it up last week and it ran
just fine. I ended up getting the key cutters from Harvey Tool. They were an "off the shelf" item from them.
I ended up starting at 200 SFM for most of the milling. The consensus was that was probably a little high but I figured I could always change the end mills and slow it down if things started to melt. So far it looks like I might be able to kick it up a little if anything. I ended up using a high end cutting oil for coolant. I think that in this case the oil helps as it keeps the end mills and inserts from thermo-cycling.
I'll post some more info after the competition has a chance to flounder and fail. I'm using some brand new milling tools (some are actually prototypes) from a company that's been around for a while but hasn't been on the cutting edge in recent years. It looks like things are changing for them. These new tools kick ass for milling on a lathe. No chatter at all. And I'm getting after it pretty hard.
Thanks for the advice.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
When I hard mill 54-56Rc S7 for molds I run no coolant just an air blast at about30 to 50 psi. The heat generated is in the chips not in the tool or steel so the air helps clear them from the work as well as cools them.

Well Ill be dammned something that hasnt changed in my + 30 years is that tools rapidly still fail if they happen to get hot now who the fuck woulda thunk...

Joe, Don't take O.A.B. seriously! Stick around and watch him, he snipes at anyone not aware of who/what he is....
I remember my first day on a new job, all of 17 years old. One of the gals from the line pipes up. "Yikes! where did they get this guy?" " They must be scraping the bottom of the barrel!" She never seen me before in her life. I just laughed at her, and we became good friends...

Maybe there's some hope for you after all.

operator
you
milling
Suggest grow some balls already.