How Does Haas Make This Claim And Get Away With It?

BottleBob wrote in news:ZY2dnTUbrOjiAN7UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I run into this myself from time to time when a competitor claims some high horsepower number more often than not it's at some very short duty cycle. Given that 7-1/2 horsepower is something of a "standard" motor size for a 5 horsepower continuous 7-1/2 30 minute duty rating, I would guess that probably is the motor size. Without any help from gearing or other speed reduction, it would be a fairly weak spindle with only 5 ponies on tap. Then there is the issue of how it's wound and how it's driven. If it's a simple inverter driven four pole motor it would be very weak indeed. A more sophisticated motor/drive can provide a very flat torque curve throughout much of the range.

The spindle bearings still create a drag on power. You can count them up and estimate the loss. Plus like I said a small motor with no reduction to multiply the torque will be weak.

Probably, and probably meant for drilling/tapping in that range rather than say hogging with a face mill.

Reply to
D Murphy

See the Jon Banquer blog for comment and response.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

See the Jon Banquer blog for comment and response.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

The Jon Banquer Blog is the most read CAM-centric blog on the web and I'm just getting started!

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

P Sevin - SBC

See the Jon Banquer blog for comment and response.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

See the Jon Banquer blog for comment and response.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

See the Jon Banquer blog for details:

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jon, how did Barn's wordpress blog get 7500 hits in 8 hours? I thought you said it couldn't be done? How much you want to bet that he has more views than you by the end of today?

So the question is, were you lying, or were you just that clueless? I guess it really doesn't matter....

Reply to
Joe788

See the Jon Banquer blog for details:

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA