Does it make sense to....

Imagine that I have a cube 5"x5"x5" . I cut a hole though all, with a diameter of 3". I then go and extrude an circle, on same plane as the cut extrude and diameter (3"). But I extrude it out 6 inches. So that in the end I have a cube with a cylinder in the middle sticking out.

Did I do an extra step in this process, if I never plan on showing the peices apart. Meaning is the "cut extrude" necessary or does SW not take it into account when it would come to say......weight of material?

T.I.A.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

In my opinion it makes sense, if that is how the part are really built.

As a rule you will never run into design intent deficiency issues or functional issues if you model things as in real life.

Which means as an assembly, or sometimes in multi body part format.

I use multi bodies like this for purchased parts, and some welded parts that are made in house as well, as long as the materials are the same.

If you need section views of the part that look correct you have to do it the way you say or there will be no lines showing the boundaries of each part since doing it the other way it will be merged as one solid body.

The only drawback is with material densities. If you need these for whatever reason, there is no way to assign separate densities to different bodies of a multi body part as far as I know.

This makes an assembly necessary.

--Matt Schroeder

Reply to
Matt Schroeder