I Don't Want A Machinist To Modify "My Part" / Why Would A Machinist Need To Modify A Customers Part?

"Design Intent" is no longer of concern where you said you were wasting all that time and trouble trying to determine customer design intent before you changed their model.

[ Here I agree there is a big problem that isn't being addressed. This problem often results in the design intent / parametric history being tossed in the trashcan. Solid modeling companies are not providing the tools necessary to keep the design intent / parametrics in place and customers are not putting the pressure on companies like SolidWorks to come up with far better tools to visualize design intent or make it so it doesn't matter like IronCAD seems to have done. ]-Jon Banquer-

So NOW Design Intent is no longer a concern?

What exactly is your engineering department doing while you say YOU are modifying customer supplied solids?

Design Intent no longer a concern?

When you import a "Dumb Solid" into Synch-Tech what happened to design intent?

You know where importing strips the solid of it's constraints (design intent)?

So Design Intent is no longer a concern?

Why are you a self proclaimed CNC Machinist/Programmer asked to modify customer supplied models, what exactly is your engineering department doing while you are hacking and whacking customer files?

Matt Lombard Author SolidWorks Bible,

SolidWorks 2007 Bible "the content is just superb!" - Jon Banquer - Aug 8, 2007

"I would strongly suggest you buy The SolidWorks Bible. It will give you many insights into how SolidWorks works" - Jon Banquer - Aug 19,

2007

"I guess dumb and stupid is how you like your CADCAM. Have you ever though about getting off you lazy ass and having someone like Tom Brewer demonstrate SmartCAMs toolpath to you?" - Jon Banquer -

"You never chain geometry in Gibbs or SmartCAM. It's not necessary." - Jon Banquer - May 20, 2005

"Create the elements in any order, and sequence them later, using modeling tools such as Chain." - SmartCAM manual

"You don't even post with SmartCAM, you generate G-code as you go along." - Jon Banquer-

You don't post with SmartCAM, LOL, but real users do and they can download about 100 SmartCAM postprocessor's for free here

[ I'm committed to working with HSMWorks to doing just that. Shouldn't be too hard because their head of US operations and I see things in almost the exact same way and because HSMWorks is interested in what I have to say and wants to work with me. ]- Jon Banquer - [ Who I'm working with to deliver what truly will be the next generation of CAM:
]-Jon Banquer- [ I understand why your shop did not go with HSMWorks. We have a lot of work to do.

] - Jon Banquer

[ Jon is not affiliated with HSMWorks ApS in any way and that we cannot control what people are writing on the web. Anybody can get evaluation licenses of HSMWorks and test it themselves. I hope this clarifies any doubt. ] - HSMWorks ApS -

HTH, Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Hey banquer, you jackass, nobody is going to request you to change their model. You are such a dipshit.

Reply to
madcadman

In my opinion the people who make this kind of statement are idiots who often show they have no idea how manufacturing works in the real world. The people who make these kinds of statement are morons like Matt Lombard, Joe 788, Tom Brewer, etc. For those who think these worthless idiots have a clue perhaps this video will give you some ideas why a machinist must have the ability to modify a customers part in order to make it.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

[
'm a CNC machinist/CNC programmer and it's quite common for us to be asked or just expected to modify customers files to help make them manufacturable/ manufacturable at a more reasonable cost. No one wants to pay us for lots of hours to figure out their design intent and more and more customers want the manufactured model to match the designed model. ] -Jon Banquer-

Wouldn't that be a customer, designer, engineer or programmers job before they would pull a machinist off a machine to modify their part?

[ Engineers who don't upload current files to our Intranet. ] -Jon Banquer-

So Jon now we know your company has engineers, what exactly does your engineering department do?

[ Perhaps if you had to deal with this situation as often as I do it might not be so funny as you tried to work with a low level tool like a roll back bar stepping through a ton of features trying not to break anything all the while knowing this was taking way too much time. ] -Jon Banquer-

So Jon, if your statements are true and you really do all of this stuff, what exactly does your engineering department do?

[ Many shops do, Brewer you're just too ignorant / dumb to understand this. ] -Jon Banquer

THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN POSTING ALL OVER THE NET THESE PAST FEW MONTHS JON. You have been saying "YOU" have to do it. Now you are changing your story (lie) because you let it slip that your company has an engineering department.

So Jon, if your statements are true, what exactly does your engineering department do while you are trying to determine customer design intent, hacking and whacking the customers models?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr