Indian Motorcycle Dealership CNC Mold

Here are some images of a 3D Laser scan to Rhino project. The images are pre-finish. It got a lot cleaner. http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/indian.htm
War Bonnet halves are 90 inches long.
This was last weeks little special project.
The thermoformed faces will be mounted atop the huge Indian fender in front of the new Indian Motorcycle Dealerships as shown in this rendering. http://indianmotorcycle.com/Dealers/DealersHome/tabid/68/Default.aspx http://indianmotorcycle.com /
Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael wrote:

It's amazing that this could be done without a blog, machining tips or Synchronous Technology.
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Nice work,
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This kind of stuff is just fun to make. Even without a blog I did it, amazing!
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael wrote:

Michael, You forgot political discussions.
Nice to see that Indian is back, just wished it was in Gilroy, their former home.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

Steve, Thanks! Who knows , Indian is setting up dealerships right now. A few years back they tried to re-open but had problems, but now two guys who own Chris Craft Boats bought Indian and now they are on the way!
Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

I think you mean Springfield, MA.
Will
Will wrote:

Will, Indian was made in Gilroy between 1999-2003. Springfield was Indian's orginal home.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Steve,
' Twas just a dig that "real Indians" were made in Springfield. Since I still have a basket case somewhere, I have to keep it real. ;>)
The originals were also "Motocycles"
I think Polaris should have taken over the name and used it instead of Victory. At least they have the manufacturing wherewithall to make bikes.
Best Will

Usually our customers freak out when asked if we can show the world what we did for them. A new one made us install locks on a room for overnight part storage. If we can show it, it will be here. www.modelwerks.com
Later,
Charlie
Charlie Gary wrote:

Charlie, I agree, I got an email today about the same thing. Note: I was asked to pull the link down, they want to show it and they have yet to have that opportunity. The Grand Openings of the new dealerships should be quite an event!
I hope the general public will support them well.
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael wrote:

    Yeah, I got in MAJOR trouble about a year ago by posting my "Lampshade" (rocket engine guts) pictures in the RCM Dropbox.     I've been quite circumspect since then.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

My boss periodically reminds me "Don't be that guy". I'm always looking for something cool to put up.
Charlie Gary wrote:

Charlie:
    That's the perfect place to work for someone that used to build models when they were a kid.
    Liked the truck! What's that canister the tubes running all over? Some sort of processing center for the wind tunnel models?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

The truck was something else. We used to have a guy who thought he had to take jobs no matter how bad the loss, so it was all for the glory in the end. I remember a CAD file coming in that was scaled different, but not enough to be obvious to joe blow. :-/ After the cab was all glued together I had to set it up on each of its' sides to cut off the little vertical "wings" at the back edge so we could glue new ones on. The thing you asked about is for testing intake flow for jet engines in models. It has pressure tubes and thermocouples in the vanes, and that's about all I should say it does. It's a cool place to work as long as a modelmaker can understand we do it for profit. I know some pretty good modelers who made rotten employees. :-( Oh well, I guess it's that way in all walks of life. I'm glad I like it enough I can stay with it.
Later,
Charlie

Charlie, all that stuff reminds me of my days at DAC Long Beach Ca. Wind tunnel models are fun to make. Thanks for showing off!!
"D"
Michael wrote:

Nice. What material did you use for the mold?
It's only been about 9 months since I got into Vacforming as a little side project. I kind of enjoy it, like a therapy ;)
My project got Blobbed by my customer though hahaha.
Wayne.....
Wayne Weedon wrote:

3/4" MDF laminated and pressed during cure time. MDF can take more heat than anything else during thermoforming, not exactly as much during machining, the resin and dust can be pretty flammable at times. If a tool fouls up while covered with dust and particles and heat builds up it will ignite.
Note: I was asked to pull the link down, they want to show it and they have yet to have that opportunity. The Grand Openings of the new dealerships should be quite an event!
I hope the general public will support them well. Michael

--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael wrote:

I also used MDF for my first mold, laminated with Epoxy. It's served me well. Although after just short of 1000 formings it's starting to get tired and I'm likely to remake it soon in Ally with a few refinements.
Not to everyones taste I know but here it is in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
skUFNI4qA
Wayne....
Wayne Weedon wrote:

Wayne, Looks good! What most people overlook is that MDF, when properly laminated, can take a lot of heat and wear in thermoform processes. Michael