Machining centre coolant pumps

Hi all. Here's a vaguely on topic question for you ;-)
Just about finished retrofitting the little Leadwell VMC I bought(Read
stole) dirt cheap last year.
The thing works great, but the coolant pump is pathetic. It's the same type as fitted to standard manual lathes and mills etc. 1/8HP and would work great on a manual, where you dont want the pressure and flowrate. This thing struggles, even after reducing the nozzle diameter which did improve things a little.
Generally what type of pumps are fitted to vmc's?
I'm running this machine at home on 220 single phase, so will be looking for pumps I can use in that enviroment. I might even try a power shower pumps to see how well it perfoms.
Wayne...

This will work, I put one on my new Yang gang tool to run heavy OIL. Add it after your regular pump. Pull 110 off the Fanuc relay for the pump ( after the fused relay) use ground for the 110. Been on my machine for 9 years now. Puts out 50 PSI. Buy 2 for an extra, 24.99 EA. http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=clear+water+pump

Yep, SVL & they do put out so much pressure (If you use toilet water to almost break chips). They will blow my heavy oil very good. They don't like to pick it up, that's why plumb it after your regular pissy pump (to keep it primed).
Why wrote:

That's a reasonable idea. We can get those here in the UK almost identical apart from the voltage. But as is typical for more money! Works out to about $50...
Wayne...

Damn screw machine guys. Always thinking they are.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
Wayne Weedon wrote:

Replacement coolant pumps are a standard catalogue item in MSC.

Abiet some what more expensive, Brinkmann screw impeller pumps are by far the most dependable we have found. Especially if you have swarf in the coolant (there are very few machines that don't) when it reaches the pump. Cast iron housing, with a steel impeller. Available in various sizes, flows and heads. They work better than advertised and we have some still in excellent working order that are over 15 years old in a tough environment. Because of the dependability and performance, we now require these pumps on all new machining equipment that comes into the plant. You get what you pay for.
--
Anthony