MIL Davie Shipbuilding In Quebec

A venerable ship yard

will have its assets dispersed by auction. I saw this by accident in a newspaper.

And trying to find information about it on the net I also ran across some info about Bombardier, another important company facing a bad future

I remember reading about how back in the fifties many manufacturers willingly gave up the consumer products market to imports like the Japanese (low margins) to focus on supplying the government sector because the didn't need to compete; governments, for PR reason would be hesitant to use foreign manufactures. While that strategy worked (until now) it created a very complacent mentality and now we have a whole shit-load of companies who can't compete.

Got Prozac?

Reply to
TS

That is amazing. . .they say their losses are railcar related in Europe and the United States. Well, if your building NEW railcars in the United States, and you do not have a backlog and record profits something is terrible wrong and you should give up.

wd

Reply to
William D. Green

================= Welcome to the wonderful world of trans-national corporations, cost allocation and transfer pricing. The objective of the game is to show no profit or if possible a loss in the high tax jurisdictions (US, Canada, EEC) and a big profit in the low or zero tax jurisdictions (Aruba, Liechtenstein.

International purchases are then made using the low/zero cost dollars, and the material, etc. transferred to the divisions in the high tax at a steep markup. Services can also be provided [look for G&A (general and administrative) items]. This can continue indefinitely.

This is also why the US economic data (e.g. "productivity") for the last 10 years is highly questionable.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I seem to remember they made some wheels or rotors for Amtrack that sidelined many commuter trains. I suspect that had some impact on bombard... profits.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

This stuff is why I gave up being employed and had my own biz. And that is also why I am pretty close to shutting down, leaving and moving to Asia. I really can't see this economic structure we have working much longer. Here in Canada we have it better because at least we are oil and natural resources exporters; but selling off non-renewable natural resources is not the way to build a strong economy. On the other hand, in this day and age, natural resources does mean that the world does have to buy from us. They can't just shut down a mine a move it to Mexico or China.

Reply to
TS

From what I seem to remember its really the airplane manufacturing that is the source of problems. Currently the governent just gave them a big contract for metro cars

"Bombardier gets metro deal - $1.2-billion pact to build 336 cars will prevent plant closing"

Here in Quebec Bombardier has been a great source of pride, being founded by a local inventor to become an international company. But like many "local" companies they have done more expanding outside of Canada than inside; Bombardier is really an international company which happens to have a head office here.

Reply to
TS

========= Two comments/observations:

(1) While the powers that be may not be able to move the mine to Mexico or China, they can and are moving the Mexicans/Chinese to the mine. Unless and until there are laws in place to force the owners/operators to pay the "guest" workers the same wages and provide the same benefits as native workers [got] this will be a problem. Their claim "we can't find workers for these jobs," has a small added condition "at the wages we want to pay."

(2) It is foolish to allow the high value added operations to be performed on your raw materials in an other country. While oil may be selling for 70$YS/bbl consider what polyester base or the engineering polymers made from this 70$US bbl of oil sell for. Chavaz in Venezuela is smart enough to see this, even if the people in Washington and Ottawa choose not to. The difference is that Chavaz believes in a Venezuela for Venezuelans, while Washington and Ottawa believe in an American and Canada for the world.

The more I probe the assumptions, data and "meta narratives" about economics, trade and industry, the more I am convinced the politicians, economists, and CEOs/CFOs are "barking mad," and should be committed to a mental hospital before they take us all over the cliff with them like a bunch of lemmings or sheep following their leaders.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I wonder why Bush always leaves that part out? Maybe he can't remember.. Or he was told to not say that. What do you think?

Reply to
Why

Gee. Sounds a bit like down here with US companies expanding where labor is cheap.

Bombardier Rotax engines have always been good ones. They make small

2 and 4 cycle engines that power homebuilt aircraft where a reliable powerplant can be a life or death situation.

I hear they also put those things in something called a skidoo ;)

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Warranty costs are a different line item against another department.

Purchasing still gets their attaboy for the cost savings, and the warranty department gets the a** chewing for letting the warranty costs get out of control.

Plant manager fires warranty supervisor solving that problem. With the wonderful cost savings generated by his purchasing department he gets promoted to division VP.

When the auditors come in some time later and the ship hits the sand the division VPs response is to fire the new Plant Manager with the remark "it was running fine when I managed it..... all you had to do...."

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Bottom line is still the same;

Americans are out of jobs, and Americans get shit at the market.

But, really who cares?

Congress?

Senate?

CEO's?

Reply to
Yasnak Zeldfarb

Can I axe you silly Canadian a silly question?

I will go ahead anyway. . .Can you tell me why you think there is not any more oil being made by the big round mothership?

I mean, all the oil in the world got made, and then it quit being made, how so? When exactly did the Mothership quit making more oil?

Yeah, and when my Pop was a boy in the early 1900's all the environmental crazies and Cliff brainless twit types said we were running out of coal. . .in years they said. We have 100's of years worth of coal supposedly now. The brings me to my next question.

All the coal in the world just was made thousands of years ago. Maybe when oil was made. So why is the no more coal being made by the big mothership and why? When did the Mothership quit making coal?

Diamonds. . .do I need to keep axing the question? Are all the diamonds that ever were created by the mothership now in existance? Why did the Great Mothership quit making more? When?

Ok, so I axed more than one question, me bad.

Can you tell me the exact temp and weather for where Rome is 5000 years ago from today? Can you get anyone to tell me with accuracy what the exact temp was in New York City just 175 years ago from today? Can you tell me what the exact temp for Dallas will be 2 weeks from today?

wd Why can I guess Cliff is working on the answers right now?

Reply to
William D. Green

William D. Green wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Way more than that even. The U.S. is the Saudi Arabia of coal. Reserves are estimated at around 4,000 billion short tons. Plus there is oil under much of it. It's just not economical to pump yet.

Coal will be key in providing energy for a long time.

Seen this?

D Murphy

So you say "Let them hire Illegal Mexicans for the Machinists jobs americans don't want to do" ?

So you say force businesses to pay a good wage? Are you on the DNC?

Reply to
free

Shit.

Someone find me a fan.....

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical

The oil-making mothership you say? Hummmm, interesting concept.

Reply to
TS

So you posted this all over creation. Must be that you are waiting for your Buddies to tell you how to answer the deeper questions of how evil Republicans, Conservatives, and Corporations make Mother Nature stand still and the world quits turning. Only when Democrats are running the show can the world rotate and Nature can survive. We are all doomed as long as we keep a Conservative White House and Congress.

wd

Reply to
William D. Green

I guess if you have to explain it, it ain't funny. Went over yours and Cliffie's heads obviously. I am amazed at the interpetations though.

I figger John S got it.

wd

Reply to
William D. Green

Yes, that whole Compassionate Conservatism sure was a hoot, what with the general hilarity of WMD, Mission accomplished, last throws ....

The country never had it so funny.

Reply to
Mich