Effectiveness of Davie Bar and Master Lock Security Bars ?

I am a renter and have a really crappy back door.

Will one of those Davie Bars

or Master Lock Security Bars
help at all ?

I know all about everything being hopeless and all that ... just shoot an atom bomb at it, it will give ...

I'm curious from a practical standpoint ?

Will a door with one of these require a few extra kicks at least ? Slow the guy down by a few minutes ? Make him generate a little more noise ?

I was also thinking of putting one on my French Doors.

If you do think they are somewhat effective, any opinion on which is better ?

Thanks

Reply to
easynews

> help at all ?

Reply to
Ros

It couldn't hurt, but I would be more concerned about it damaging the door if someone attempted to break in without obtaining your landlord's permission to use it, you could be looking at replacing the door for him/her...

Practically such bars are a headache, imagine a fire, no lights, room full of smoke, and you can't get the door open, and in your panic you can't figure out why...

Depends on the door... Having that much force holding a "crappy door" closed might make it easier for such a door to fail... [Think: Not such a good idea for old, dry, wooden doors...]

Why? They are glass, they have other problems that installing one of those cute little bars won't solve...

While they can be effective, they can also be dangerous, as they prevent you from opening the door inside in an emergecy/panic situation... When you aren't thinking clearly, like during a fire or home invasion, so you really want your security device to trap you inside ???

I would install a wireless alarm system of some kind, such would help defer insurance costs as a renter, you need to insure the contents of your unit anyways and an alarm system would reduce the coast of that insurance...

That davie bar may stop someone from entering, but it won't do much for catching them after they enter, nor will it protect your unit if no one is around to hear the door getting bashed in, that is where a properly installed and utilized alarm system really shines -- it protects your stuff and silently calls for help...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan