OT Eye Floaters

I, like most people, get the occasional eye floater. I usually just ignore them and eventually they go away. But I've got one now that's right in the center of my vision. It tracks along with the movement of my eye as I read a line of text. Does anyone have a remedy to get one of these things to move out of the way? I mean, are they little blood clots? If so, blood has iron atoms in it, right? Would a strong magnet held to the side of your eye tend to make it move toward the magnet? Or can I turn my head sideways and spin around in my computer chair to sort of act like a centrifuge and make it move off the center of my vision? LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

I would check this out.

18 years ago I had a big what I thought was floater and even my family doctor told me to wait till it goes away. One day I almost lost all my vision in this eye so I went to emergency room and I had a surgery next day. It turned out to be retina detachment which in turn was a sign of another problem I will not even get into. Now every year I go and get laser surgery on that eye to kill blood vessels feeding some tiny tumors that caused the detachment. In your case it may be nothing but I would make sure. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Eyes are nothing to fool around with unless you don't mind losing them.

Go to an ophthalmologists and have it looked at. At our age it can't hurt, if nothing else you will create a baseline to compare with in the future.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

No, I don't but I used to get a floater that looked like eyeglasses on a wreathed handle. Been a few years since I last saw it but I found it to be a bit freaky.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Bob,

I would probably get it checked by a professional.

Reply to
GOD

Just do a half a hit next time?

Reply to
vinny

=========== As several people have suggested you need to get this checked soon by a qualified professional as these can be symptoms of more serious conditions, a common one being diabetes.

for some background info click on

about 12k hits google on

There are also some non surgical "cures" advertised, but I don't know how effective these are.

There is a surgical procedure that removes these, but it is seldom done, and it has long recovery time with the patient immobilized in a head bent forward position.

The reason I know about this is I just had cataract surgery, which sometimes aggravates this condition [it was pre-existing]. It is much worse in my right eye and not noticeable in the left. Unfortunatly I am "right eyed," and this causes problems with my "sight picture."

Good luck.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Vinny:

There's always a joker in the deck. LOL

I haven't done ANY clandestine controlled substances since '89. To all those with the suggestions that I seek professional help for the problem, thanks for your concern - one and all. And luckily no, Unka' George, I'm not diabetic.

It seems to have moved off the center of my vision.

Reply to
BottleBob

Yeah, welcome to old age!

I don't think hemoglobin is magnetic, as the iron is bound in a molecule. I'd suspect you'd really feel your veins pulling when in an MRI machine if it was. Or can I turn my head sideways and

Not likely to have enough density difference for this to work.

I had a giant one appear in one eye some years ago, and I just had to wait for it to go away. It was not right in the center of the visual field, and was most annoying when driving, as the flat color of the sky made it more visible. It took about two weeks to fully move out of sight.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

BottleBob wrote in news:o9-dneWsPqkDLlzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Bob,

Could be a sign of a detached retina. My mother had a similar thing happen and lost nearly all her vision in that eye. If you have seen flashes of light or lots of sudden spots that is a sign of a detaching retina and you need to hustle on over to an opthomologist right away.

I have a lot of floaters in one eye that sustained an injury when I was a kid. The inside of my eyeball ruptured and filled with blood. I guess the floaters are just leftover bits of ruptured blood vessels. I've been told by several doctors that there isn't anything that can be done for it. They are basically trapped in the fluid inside your eye. Some may go away but as you get older you just get more of them anyhow.

Reply to
D Murphy

Could be too much effing exercise. :)

I've had floaters from when I was in single digits. From all the g-d comic books I was reading, I figgered I was seeing atoms and molecules!

But a periodic eye exam is not a bad idea anyway, for glaucoma and all that.

Iron in blood is heavily liganded to the heme molecule, which altho not a true covalent bond , no doubt disrupts the electronic spins/orbitals enough to make it non-magnetic.

Proof is MRI--if hemoglobin were magnetic, you'd be in deep doodoo.

I'm sort of surprised docs can't circulate and filter eye fluid. iirc, they can resurrect punctured eyes . Seems to me that lasers could bust up floaters.

Reply to
DrollTroll

LOL

"hustle on over to an opthomologist right away"

Do it.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor. An optometrist is nothing of the sort, is merely a doctor of glasses, at best.

I highly suggest seeing an eye doctor, not a glasses doctor.

Reply to
Black Dragon

DT:

Hemoglobin, the oxygen-binding heme protein of blood is composed of four subunits of two types, alpha and beta. Although the protein when isolated is diamagnetic, by oxidation it can be converted to various paramagnetic ferric forms exhibiting specific electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectra. Using electron paramagnetic resonance, we have shown that the symmetry of the heme of isolated ferric alpha chains is different from that of the heme of these same subunits when associated with ferric beta chains in the parent tetramer. ========================================================================

De-oxygenated hemoglobin seems to be non-magnetic. Oxygenated hemoglobin seems to be paramagnetic.

======================================================================== Paramagnetism is a form of magnetism which occurs only in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field. Paramagnetic materials are attracted to magnetic fields, hence have a relative magnetic permeability greater than one (or, equivalently, a positive magnetic susceptibility). The force of attraction generated by the applied field is linear in the field strength and rather weak. It typically requires a sensitive analytical balance to detect the effect. Unlike ferromagnets, paramagnets do not retain any magnetization in the absence of an externally applied magnetic field, because thermal motion causes the spins to become randomly oriented without it. =========================================================================

Reply to
BottleBob

Do you levitate, or stop breathing during an MRI? I didn't, and I had proly a dozen, after previous broke neck.

So paramagnetic or not, it's ignorable. In fact, the paramagnetism is not observed as any Newtonian/mechanical force, but through dat EPR stuff, which is essentially very sensitive optical methods. For all mechanical/biological intents and purposes, the actual magnetic effect is near-zero.

Also, the "symmetry" they refer to may be that of mathematical "group theory" that inorganic chemists apply to atomic and molecular orbitals. Very very complicated and abstract shit, having little to do with real chemistry, from what little I could gather.

I'm bracing myself for your next google.....

Reply to
DrollTroll

Bob,

Welcome to my world. I find myself swatting at imaginary flies! I just had my "floaters" checked 2 months ago. While very annoying, they are "usually" harmless and unfixable. That is in 90% of the cases I'm told. So like others said, eye doctor (the one who looks thru the fancy machine into your dialated pupils). In addition they can find other things there as well... like I went from +1.75 reading to now +2.25! Damn, I don't have time for this whole aging thing!

-- Bill

** Posted from
**
Reply to
kinzie

BottleBob wrote in news:XqGdnYZB950FbVzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Here's a scary story for you then:

About ten years ago on Labor Day in fact, I was doing some projects around the house and sent my wife down to Home Depot to get something I needed. While she's there without me she figures it would be the perfect time to buy new storm doors for the house. The ones we had were fine, she just didn't like the style, hence the perfect time to buy them being there without me.

So she recruits the lot boy to rig these bad boys to the roof of her car. They used everything from rope to tape to bungee cords. Anyway, we're in the driveway, her on one side of the car and me on the other, trying to undo all the crazy rigging and I can't get one of the bungee cords unclipped from the rain gutter. I finally get the hook free and it rips through my hand. Ouch. I check out the gash across my palm and decide that I'll probably live and I notice my wife is gone. I run around to the other side of the car and she is bent over with one hand over her eye. There's blood pouring out from in between her fingers. It looks bad. I can't get her to let me see her eye and I'm not so sure I want to see it.

It turns out the hook hit her just below the eye. She needed stitches, then they sent us to an opthomologist because her vision was affected. It turned out her eye was badly bruised but was otherwise OK. They gave her a pirate patch and sent us on our way.

On a follow up exam they took her eye pressures and they were off the charts. She had undiagnosed Glaucoma. She would surely be blind today if it hadn't been caught early. As it is even under treatment, she loses a little bit of sight every year. The accident saved her sight.

The joke nowadays is that I tell her to be nice to me or I'll dress her funny when she goes blind.

Opthomologist is what you want. An optometrist makes eyeglasses and really isn't qualified to diagnose let alone treat eye diseases/conditions.

I'm telling you if you've recently seen flashing light, stars, or spots get going. don't wait.

OTOH nearsightedness leads to more floaters.

Reply to
D Murphy

Dan:

Certainly a silver lining in THAT cloud.

She probably doesn't think that's quite as funny as you do.

Opticians make eyeglasses. See my reply to BD.

No, nothing flashing, no stars.

I've had those tests with the little puff of air in your eyes to check for glaucoma, that drives me nuts.

I've heard that.

Reply to
BottleBob

That sure would have scared the crap out of me though nice to have an upside to it..

Ok, I'll relate one sorta similar. Years ago I was out fishing. I'm not a skilled fisherman, I either do really well, or I lose all sorts of tackle and get nothing. This day I'd lost several lures, snagged on underwater branches and crap.

Along this creek, I saw a nice large pool downstream, and decided to cast into it over the shallow rapids. Set up with a bright fluorescent orange MEPS lure and let loose. Nice long cast, I was very happy until I saw I'd done too well and the lure hit some low hanging branches. Shit. Started gently reeling in, and sure enough, snagged but good. Pissed off as hell, I point the rod straight at the tree and reel in all the slack, then hauled back HARD. I see the line just floating lazily in the air and assumed it had broken.

To this day, I maintain I never consciously saw anything, I just remember ducking my head slightly before getting smacked in the face with the lure. Buried two of the three hooks but good in my left eyebrow. Had I not ducked, it would have hit the eye or maybe just below.

It was fun sitting in the ER waiting room with a bright orange lure dangling over my left eye. Didn't take long for hospital workers to slowly approach from the hall, take a quick look at me, and walk away quickly, not being too good at hiding their smirks.

Two good things came of it. The ER doc showed me how to remove buried hooks by sliding a hypo needle down along the shank and over the barb, allowing it to be removed easily.

The other was the kid in the ER with a broken arm. He was whining and whimpering until he saw me with the lure stuck to my face. He stopped, stared, then asked in a hushed voice: "Does it hurt???" He didn't make another sound the whole time I was there.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

BottleBob wrote in news:Dradnfu0bO8FlF_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com: