OT Eye Floaters

Matt,
Thanks for the info. My wife had the new laser surgery and so far her pressures have stayed low. The one she had (can't remember the name right now) can be repeated in a few years if needed.
So she's off the drops for now. When she was on them she went several types before they found ones that work.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
D Murphy wrote:

I'm a glaucoma suspect because the disease runs in my family. For the past six years since I turned 40, twice per year I've had field (of vision) tests done to watch for change. Glaucoma can cause loss of peripheral vision before a change in pressure is detected hence the reasons for the field tests. At my last visit to my Ophthalmologist (I've been wearing corrective lenses since I've been 5 years old and have never once had my eyes examined by an Optician or Optometrist) it was determined no since change at all has taken place over the last six years the (field) tests are being cut back to once per year.
If I ever do get glaucoma however, I'm treating it with *Marijuana*. :)~
--
Black Dragon

Uncle Sam comes off as the perverted relative who'll offer you a
Black Dragon wrote:

BD:
    Yeah, I saw that in my searches. I wonder if they have nonpsychoactive cannabinol pills that work. I must be the ONLY ex-hippy that never liked marijuana.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Nope. Stuff makes me sick.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Could be too much effing exercise. :)
I've had floaters from when I was in single digits. From all the g-d comic books I was reading, I figgered I was seeing atoms and molecules!
But a periodic eye exam is not a bad idea anyway, for glaucoma and all that.
Iron in blood is heavily liganded to the heme molecule, which altho not a true covalent bond <ahem>, no doubt disrupts the electronic spins/orbitals enough to make it non-magnetic.
Proof is MRI--if hemoglobin were magnetic, you'd be in deep doodoo.
I'm sort of surprised docs can't circulate and filter eye fluid. iirc, they can resurrect punctured eyes <effing ouch>. Seems to me that lasers could bust up floaters.
--
PV'd

DrollTroll wrote:

DT:
=======================================================================http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1969PNAS...63..934P
Hemoglobin, the oxygen-binding heme protein of blood is composed of four subunits of two types, alpha and beta. Although the protein when isolated is diamagnetic, by oxidation it can be converted to various paramagnetic ferric forms exhibiting specific electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectra. Using electron paramagnetic resonance, we have shown that the symmetry of the heme of isolated ferric alpha chains is different from that of the heme of these same subunits when associated with ferric beta chains in the parent tetramer. ======================================================================    De-oxygenated hemoglobin seems to be non-magnetic. Oxygenated hemoglobin seems to be paramagnetic.
=======================================================================Paramagnetism is a form of magnetism which occurs only in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field. Paramagnetic materials are attracted to magnetic fields, hence have a relative magnetic permeability greater than one (or, equivalently, a positive magnetic susceptibility). The force of attraction generated by the applied field is linear in the field strength and rather weak. It typically requires a sensitive analytical balance to detect the effect. Unlike ferromagnets, paramagnets do not retain any magnetization in the absence of an externally applied magnetic field, because thermal motion causes the spins to become randomly oriented without it. ========================================================================
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Do you levitate, or stop breathing during an MRI? I didn't, and I had proly a dozen, after previous broke neck.
So paramagnetic or not, it's ignorable. In fact, the paramagnetism is not observed as any Newtonian/mechanical force, but through dat EPR stuff, which is essentially very sensitive optical methods. For all mechanical/biological intents and purposes, the actual magnetic effect is near-zero.
Also, the "symmetry" they refer to may be that of mathematical "group theory" that inorganic chemists apply to atomic and molecular orbitals. Very very complicated and abstract shit, having little to do with real chemistry, from what little I could gather.
I'm bracing myself for your next google.....
--
PV'd

> --
BottleBob wrote:

LOL
"hustle on over to an opthomologist right away"
Do it.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
BottleBob wrote:

Bob,
Welcome to my world. I find myself swatting at imaginary flies! <g> I just had my "floaters" checked 2 months ago. While very annoying, they are "usually" harmless and unfixable. That is in 90% of the cases I'm told. So like others said, eye doctor (the one who looks thru the fancy machine into your dialated pupils). In addition they can find other things there as well... like I went from +1.75 reading to now +2.25! Damn, I don't have time for this whole aging thing!
-- Bill