OT:Flag at halfstaff

I drive past a VA hospital everyday which displays a large stars&stripes near the road. Occasionally the flag is at half staff to honor someone, for example, 30 days for Reagan, 6 days for Renquist and so on. It is also lowered every year on certain days like Dec. 7. The flag has been lowered for several days now. Does anyone know the reason? The last government figure to pass away was Caspar Weinberger, on Mar. 28.

Fred

Reply to
ff

might have relevant information. Likely someone didn't get the word that the flag is only supposed to be at half-staff on one day, not the whole week.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for the link. Here's an excerpt for anyone else interested:

"By a joint resolution approved October 1, 1962, as amended, (76 Stat.

676), the Congress has authorized and requested the President to designate May 15 of each year as "Peace Officers Memorial Day" and the week in which it falls as "Police Week," and by Public Law 103-322, as amended, (36 U.S.C. 136), has directed that the flag be flown at half staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 15, 2006, as Peace Officers Memorial Day and May 14 through May 20, 2006, as Police Week. I call on all Americans to observe these events with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I also call on Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day. I further encourage all Americans to display the flag at half staff from their homes and businesses on that day.

"

Interesting, that it took 44 years for a Congressional resolution to be signed into law.

Reply to
ff

Huh? The relevant law was signed by John F. Kennedy. But it's kind of hard for him to make the annual proclamation, he being dead and all.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Ask not what your country can do for you."

famous last words

Reply to
ff

And the end of an era. Now it's "vote for me and here's what I'll steal from the rich to give you".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good thing I'm not rich :-)

Reply to
ff

Not a true statement. The Rich can afford decent accountants and tax shelters. Its the middle class that gets ripped off and its the "poor" that get the smorgasbord of goodies. And of course..Illegal aliens.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Read what I wrote. I didn't say that they did steal from the rich, only that they claimed that they would do so if they were elected.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thank you.

Reply to
ff

Which is not to be confused with the other parties offer "Vote for me and here's what I'll steal from the poor and middle class and give to you, and if that's not enough I'll let you steal even more from them and the Treasury."

I say throw the bums out on both sides of the aisle. Term limits and more political parties such as reform, libertarian and green. People have to stop thinking in terms of 30 second "sound bites" and start looking at the "big picture."

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee