OT: Fran Update

Tom:

Yeah.

She's not in ICU, but it's not a regular room either. Something in between.

Now THAT is tantamount to trying to move the immovable object.

Reply to
BottleBob

Didn't say make her quit , however when you put your foot down make sure it's on top of her smokes.....let her know it's for you, she can do this one thing for you right now because it's just TO dangerous while she is trying to heal.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Tom:

You've certainly got ME convinced. :)

Well, they're not letting her smoke in the hospital.

Reply to
BottleBob

It's a damned hard thing to beat. Both my parents smoked since I can remember. I read about second hand smoke and recall the days when the family would be watching TV, and smoke hung in drifts throughout the room. Mom up and quit cold turkey about 10 years ago. Dad keeps mumbling about how he's just too stressed, can't handle the withdrawal, points out that nicotine is more addictive than heroin, anything to avoid actually quitting. He did manage to lay off for a month or two, but is right back to it. But at 79, it could be argued maybe not that much benefit at this stage of the game. I think when it catches up to him, it'll do so in a swift and certain manner. I can see the difference in Mom though, she seemed to almost stop aging for a while.

It really would do Fran a world of good to lay off them for a while at least, if she can handle the craving. Sounds like things are headed in a positive direction though, and that is good news!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Excellent news. Complaining is an excellent sign!

But realize that NOW, after not being able to smoke for quite some time now, is the BEST time really nail the quitting thing w/ ciggies, as the hump of the hard withdrawal phase is probably over.

The real Q: what can be substituted for smoking, ito of distraction, activity, etc. etc. Otherwise, even after "successful quitting", old behaviors very often resume.

Lessee.... engine rebuilding?? :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

PV: Well then she's showing MANY excellent signs. :)

Yeah, I already tried that one. It went over like a lead balloon.

The MAIN thing is she's got to WANT to quit. We're not anywhere near CLOSE to that point.

Reply to
BottleBob

Yep

Reply to
brewertr

Good for her.

How are YOU doing?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Tom:

The better Fran does - the more fine I am. :)

Reply to
BottleBob

I was thinking that most would figure that no news was good news, but I've gotten some E-mails asking for updates - so I'll post the latest.

The doctors decided NOT to operate on her heart, and have moved her out of the cardiac ward (with the bazillion monitoring machines) into a regular room. She still has oxygen going in her nose, but she's getting better all the time. They pulled the metal staples out of her healing abdominal railroad track last week. I'm not one to bring her flowers since they just die. I'm more of a card & printed pictures of her cat person, that way you can pin the cards and print-outs to the bulletin board and they'll still be there after a couple of weeks. But my boss had someone drop off a ceramic vase with flowers at my home to give to Fran. I thought that was very thoughtful - especially since I haven't even been to the shop in a month or so. The first word Fran said when I brought in the flowers was "smell" - so I let her smell the flowers. She said they were "Beautiful" and God bless my boss, his family, and his dog. I asked what dog? She said the German Shepard he has. I don't remember even mentioning his dog for months. But she's more focused on animals than people and remembers stuff like that. :)

So, the bottom line is - things are looking up.

Reply to
BottleBob

Bob, Great news! Hope that she will continue on the road to recovery.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

BB, You DID see the clue stick she was hiding behind her back when she said that stuff, right? ;-)

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Dial each deeper letter 2 or 3 times. Duh! Dial is marked. ;)

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Charlie:

Yeah, yeah. Now I've got to go dig up some plant material every time I see her. :(

I wonder if a little long living cactus would suffice?

Reply to
BottleBob

Steve;

Thanks. But I'm obviously still distracted since I missed the "t" in still at the top.

Reply to
BottleBob

Glad to hear that Bob....for You and Fran. You were about 30 seconds from gettin an email from me and then I thought maybe I should check here and see if ya posted an update.

BTW.....Have ya declawed "Ears" yet???.....or are ya just gettin used to the abuse? :)

Barn

Reply to
barn_rubble

Barn:

Why thank you.

Even though "Ears" is only an indoor cat, and always will be, I just don't feel right about removing his claws. Ya know, different cats have variable claw sharpness. The cat before this one had like "insulin needle" sharp claws. You couldn't play with him at all without coming away bloody.

Reply to
BottleBob

Removing a cats claws is the same thing to the cat as amputating your fingers would be to you Bob. You'd miss them indoors or out and so do cats.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Just clip the points off with nail clippers. We had 2 indoor cats for

15 and 16 years, and they got used to the monthly trim! In fact I think they didn't mind it at all. Certainly they always sat calmly while I did it and would extend the claws to allow me to do it.

Only the very tips though, you should be able to see where the part which could hurt is.

Only front paws though! Of course your milage may vary!

Wayne.....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Found a pic.

He was a 16Ib big fella at that time, and those claws actually were never used in anger.

Clipping also made it easier for them to walk on Carpet as being indoor cats they wore down very little.

Wayne.....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon