Sharpies (the marker) ain't cutting it -- or marking it....

On 6/22/2011 11:04 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

We use these, and sharpies..
http://www.markal.com/prod/143/valve-action-paint-markers.aspx
On 6/22/2011 12:10 PM, tnik wrote:

These suck bigtime: http://www.markal.com/prod/69/ball-paint-marker.aspx
I bought one once a couple of years ago & the paint corroded the ball mechanism from the inside & it became unusable pretty quickly. The white paint had a strong rust brown tint from day one till it ultimately corroded itself shut. The company did not followup to my phone complaint.
Nissen brand of this style is much better.
MikeB
On 6/22/2011 5:31 PM, BQ340 wrote:

Yea, we used to use the ball type and had the same experience. Hence why we switched to the valve action.. Has a felt tip, and works great and lasts forever as long as you store them on their side.
On 06/22/2011 08:04 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

I've never had a problem with sharpies on reasonably clean metal -- they cut right through the film of oil that you get when you work on something then swipe it with a rag, and they certainly work on dry metal.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Nail polish seems to cut through oil too. I paint a white patch on and then write the type of steel with a fine Sharpie. Red and black can fix chipped pointers and index lines. Have a good retort ready for when the clerk questions why a man needs it.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Tell him you're buying it for his son. ;-)

Existential Angst wrote:

Sharpies, Soapstone, Dykem, correction fluid all get used around here.
--
Steve W.

They've come out with a silver-gray Sharpie lately that I use a lot, good for marking on dark surfaces. Some wally worlds have them. Great for marking wall warts and black cables, also mill scale on hot- rolled steel. There are white and yellow paint markers that are like Sharpies, also ball-bearing versions of same that are harder to use. I tend to take a swipe with a Magnum Marker, then scribe my cut line into that. Magnum Markers have about a 1" square tip. They also have welding markers in red and silver along with rod and flat soapstones. Each has their place, no one marker is going to do it all.
Stan

What you want is a paint marker. Google Dykem Paint Marker for an example.

There are also oil-based sharpies: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=SharpieOil-BasedPaintMarkerMedium

Hey, the way I was showed at school was to use felt tip marker pens - theres good ones and crap ones - a good one will set you back about $5 and you keep this for your bestest layouts. Rest of the time, cheap crap ones at the markets are fine - they dry out quick, but are dirt cheap so you dont crack it when one gets lost. The good ones here are Japanese, (nope, now made in Malaysia, just looked at it) ARTLINE100 - its got a broad chisel tip so you can do lots of area if you need to. Washes off with CRC, Kero, Turps. Steel wool. But dont leave it on for years, it does set...
One day, when I am a real engineer, I will get some layout dye and make up a pot to keep near the workbench......but until then.... I will also keep the tube of Prussian Blue nearby for when I use the surface plate.....near the end of the layout bench......
Andrew VK3BFA.