Survey: Co-worker Tension

To All:

What are the most common tension creating situations in your shop? Extra points for details.

[ ] Radio? [ ] Management vs. shopworkers? [ ] Personality clashes? [ ] Primadonnas? [ ] Other?
Reply to
BottleBob

CNC machines and presses get highest priority (versus floor work). Once management, for whatever reason, wants a certain die in a press or on a machine, they tend to lean on whomever is getting the die ready. A couple of weeks ago I had the GM (four management levels above me) on my butt to get a die on the machine. I missed lunch and lost about five pounds in sweat (about 31=BAC, no fans).

Ultimately deadlines are by far the biggest stressor for me.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

When I ask the wife to make love on the large surface plate and she denies me, the tension level really increases!

Reply to
GarlicDude

Super Glue $ to the floor, when she bends over to pick it up..........bada....bing.......

Tom

GarlicDude wrote:

Reply to
brewertr

Then when she opens her mouth to complain...........double bada bing.

Tom

brewertr wrote:

Reply to
brewertr

BottleBob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Ineptitude and Laziness.

Reply to
Anthony

Can't stand the blaring ghetto blasters. I work in a place with a hearing conservation program (as in already way too lound) and they allow idjits to noise up the noisy areas I have to work in. Nothing like fixing a machine between two ghetto blasters playing different tunes.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Employees who don't get how business works get in the way of the decision making process by allowing egos and not logic to dictate how decisions are made is probably the most frustrating thing to deal with as an employee. As a consultant business is booming because of it.

Reply to
Bill Roberto
[ ] Radio? [ xxx] Management vs. shopworkers? [ ] Personality clashes? [ ] Primadonnas? [ ] Other? = >> To All:
Reply to
Joe

Just hand them some tools and tell them to get at it if they want it done faster.

John

Reply to
john

All I have to listen to..is Rancherio or Vietnames music.

Im not sure which one I hate the most. The Viet music sounds like some sort of Asian funeral music...but Ive heard it before so I can live with it..sorta

Rancerio music is Mexican polka..and gods how I hate polka....

Umpa umpa umpaumpaumpa umpapa umpapa umpapa....

mumble mumble grumble

Course yesterday...new customer...Merl Haggard, Hank Jr...Big & Rich....I think Im gonna like that ol boy..and he pays COD too.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

That would be inviting a world of pain. Weeks of stoning/polishing, washing presses, running panels by hand, etc. Not to mention you get yourself on the "list" (next fireable offence will be just that).

The kicker is that anyone one of them could do the job faster and better than I could. I've been humbled considerably since I started there.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Umpappa umpappa umpappa umpappa now now. Oops, wrong genre. ;)

Reply to
clutch

Is it the kind of place where you can tactfully ask them to throw some hints your way as they watch you go at it, or do you just have to suck it up and struggle through the learning curve?

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

If yer gonna talk shit about how good you are and how everybody else doesn't do shit, you better be able to walk the walk. If your ass can cash the check written by your mouth, then by all means tell the world how great you are, but if you can't get it right without asking five questions every five minutes, please, just STFU.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Both, I think. They'll explain things to you roughly once. The rest is repetition.

Some guys will hold your hand, others yell until you get it right (like, red in the face yell). Asking for the same explination a second time is a big no-no. If they aren't confident that you're listening, eventually they'll stop talking. This seems to be pretty common throughout the trades I think.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Too bad the yellers don't understand how much retention goes away when the attacks begin. It can be tough to focus on the message being delivered when you're wondering if the person doing the yelling can't get laid. ;-) Is sandpaper treated like gold leaf, or can you toss it once the grit is rubbed off?

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

While I don't like to admit it, I find that tactful yelling (gentle persuasion) actually goes a long way with me. I find that leadhands who aren't willing to explain to people what they've done wrong and how to fix it (and that they must! fix it) aren't doing their job.

We have a number of "finishing groups" at work. The previous group I was in had a lot of superstars and was run by a very abrasive leadhand (abrasive to the inexperienced and the incompetent). The problem with that leadhand was that he actually *could* out perform everyone in the group, or at least match the superstars. Dies get rammed through that group in particular and the pace is fast.

That group wasn't a great group to start in because there's no time to "learn," only time to "do." However, I did learn how to push myself to get the job done. I also gained the mentality of doing things correctly (as time allows) the first time as I would get yelled at for not fixing mistakes and not finishing a job correctly. Naturally, I could never finish a job fast enough (and was reminded of that daily, or better).

In my current group, the leadhand is much less abrasive. He gently explains the job and is reasonably patient about how long it takes to complete. He is reluctant to go after those in the group who do not correctly complete their jobs, don't fix their mistakes and don't complete the job fast enough. I enjoy that social atmosphere, but I know that I'm not learning as much as I would like. I am grateful for the difficult education I had before.

We go through sand paper like Taco Bell goes through toilet paper. Once the dies are hardened, the sandpaper gets dull in about ten or less strokes (in one spot). A 1.5m long flange section (say a radius of

5.0mm) will eat about half a sheet each of 120g, 240g and 400g emery, and 600g paper. That's after stoning with a 100g polishing stone. Naturally the rads are stoned and polished to 240g before hardening as well.

Large complicated inner panel draw dies eat emery cloth by the box.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

This trait will serve you well. Too many people get too wrapped up in the delivery.

His last name isn't Stamm, is it?

Probably not, but after you described my boss I had to ask. ;-)

Now let me poison the well of your mind with this advise: in twenty years, when you can't push hard without your whole arm going numb for a few days, remember the schedules you busted ass to meet. I'm not saying hard work is bad, but don't wreck your body for someone else's financial gain. I guess what I really want to pass on is "work smarter, not harder" every chance you get.

Too bad he doesn't hold people accountable. It is possible to be a nice guy who expects workers to perform to standards.

How big is your typical sanding block footprint? Do you apply pressure with your fingers, or the palm of your hand? Would tighter stepover in the cutter path reduce the handwork time? Do the programmers ever get to come out and see what they've created, or do they stay locked away in a dark room?

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

"Robin S." wrote in news:1153774690.215991.256460 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I do quite a bit of teaching at work, and used to teach at a trade school. I've found the best way to get someone to *understand* what you are trying to get across is if you ask the right questions. Telling them the answer does absolutely no good, it's gone in a flash. But if you ask them the right questions in a manner that points to the answer, and

*they* come up with the correct answer on thier own, the retention seems to be years instead of minutes. After they come up with the right answer, then you can go on to explain the why's, what's and how-to's and thier mind is like a sponge, because they *want* to know those details.
Reply to
Anthony