Survey: Co-worker Tension

I hear you. Sometimes I think they invented apprentices to push stones and paper. Not to say toolmakers don't do it, but...

I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm not the lowest rung on the ladder. Leadhands get in trouble if they aren't using their resources efficiently. You can't very well get an apprentice to do draw die tweaking in a press while a ten year toolmaker stones a draw cavity.

I shouldn't say he's a complete doormat, because he isn't. I just prefer are more asertive approach.

We don't use sanding blocks. The stones come roughly 8x2x.75" but I break them into halves or thids before use, unless stoning a very large plane surface (fairly common on outter panels).

It depends on the geometry of the die. Flat surfaces get very little attention compared to male rads. Fingers are used for intricate stuff, palms for longer, straighter rads.

We've actually made excellent progress in this area. I have no idea what has changed (cutter geometry, material, programming technique, CAM software, etc) but we used to have to use 40 grit stones, then 60/80 and finally 100 before polishing. Now virtually all rads can be stoned with 100g, and then polished.

Before we got our high-speed finishing mills, apprentices would stone continously for months (seriously) because the technology at the time couldn't cut it faster.

I think the industry has forced management to invest in better techniques and tools to basically cut more accurate dies faster. The programmers are a big part of this and they're on the shop floor often enough. It's hard for me to say anything beyond that as I don't work in the machine shops.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Robin, This is really kind of sad. Because you are young and inexperienced you don't recognize that you work for Neanderthals. By the time you realize it, you'll be one of those guys spouting off to the new guys following you about "paying your dues" and all that crap that Neanderthals talk about.

You think you're getting a good education. What you're getting is an indoctrination into the losers club. Because people who treat you like this are in fact losers. They are just too stupid to see it.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

Well, I have no excuse for that for sure. It wasnt always like that at this shop. There is not a single person working there that was there when I started. They all apparently got the hint. Ive been there for 12 years now and find it hard to change. Who knows, maybe in the next year or two i'll have a change of heart.

Reply to
Dave

Oh yes, and I almost forgot the most important part. The owner has a heart of gold. He has been the biggest reason for my staying there over the last

5 years. The foreman has been there for over 20 years and the owner seems to believe what he says over anyone else so working there is like driving down a one way street. I think our owner and the foreman have known each other since high school so there has never been any chance of those two separating at any cost it seems. Its too bad really, I've seen some very good people leave that shop because of one stubborn foreman.
Reply to
Dave