Template digitizer plans

Does anyone know of plans available for building a table top template digitizer? I would like to build one for measuring large 2D templates
like boat or countertop templates. The mechanical design part is easy for me but I don't know what type of encoders would be used and how to interface with a CAD program.
Brad