Zeonex

Does anyone have any experience machining Zeonex? In addition to machining it I am going to be lapping it. Anyone out there ever worked with it? Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

I do. For optical applications. What John said about PCD tooling. Use moderate surface speeds, light cut depths and chip loads to induce as little stress into it as possible, it's brittle and fractures extremely easy. Rough, semi finish, and heat treat before finishing if dimensional stability is important. Stress will be easily seen when viewed through polarized lenses.

Reply to
Black Dragon

PCD tooling is not in the cards, but this is a one off so I am hoping sharp HSS tooling will be OK. I am also going to but a very small (1.4mm) tap: What about tapping? I am also interested in the heat treating aspect of it that you mentioned. Do you have any more information? Thanx, Paul H.

Reply to
plh

PCD is ideal. You can use solid carbide. Just don't use anything coated as edges are prepped by honing reducing keen-ness. I'd opt for two flute bull nose tools with a .01-.015" corner radius. Keep your depths of cut below the size of the corner radius. HSS will work, just don't expect it to last long. Honing a small corner radius on the tool with a fine india stone will greatly improve results and tool life.

I've never tapped the stuff. I'd try 80ish% thread, a two flute un-coated HSS spiral point tap (at that size the choices are minimal anyway), and use Edge Lube "wax" (not the paste) as a lubricant.

I don't have that info on hand. I'll try to get it by the end of the weekend.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Forget that shit what speeds tools ect should I for milling micarta canvas phenolic shit we has a brake we needs to make here.

My precious and I has needs.

Reply to
over a barrel