CLX L63 NVRAM Backups without the 1784-CF64?

Heylo,

I couldn't find where this has been discussed before, so I'm sorry if I'm rehashing something. I'm using a ControLogix L63. I'm trying to convince TPTB that the CompactFlash backup option is a superior way to go (rather than shipping me off to the client site every time someone needs something patched...)

Has anyone used anything but A-B's 1784-CF64? It looks like a 64mb CompactFlash card to me, which can be had at Fry's for $20. My problem is that all of our bench controllers are L55's and I don't have an L63 in my hand right now.

Can I just get a $20 Fry's special blowout clearance bargain basement CF card and slap it in there? Anyone done it? Benefits? Risks?

Thanks very much.

Tarkaan in Texas

Reply to
tarkaan

Upshot of it is--functionally, they're nothing special. MSDOS fat16 filesystem, and the L6x writes the dirstructure when necessary.

Risks? I've carried knockoffs in my bag (remember your source for

64-pin D-Sub connectors? Save about $145.00 a pop!).

But if I supply something to a Client, it's going to be the real deal.

Perception is everything. Clients don't want "just as good". They want real RA, Siemens, Omron, whatever.

Until, of course, they have to stock the product their crib. Then it's cheap chinese knockoffs and "Why doesn't your system work worth a crap since we switched spare parts suppliers?"

Reply to
thrugoodmarshall

Wait... You're telling me that Allen-Bradley is selling a CF64 that's exactly the same as any other CF64 on the planet, but because it has "Allen-Bradley" stamped on the label, they charge 4 times as much? Come on.. next thing you're going to tell me is that they're doing it with serial cables and null modems.

Actually.. Now I don't feel so bad about being a "rebel" and carrying a handful of these around in my bag. If I can get a short stack of them for $20, what's it gonna hurt?

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
tarkaan