Communicate with Factory Talk View ?

Does anyone here have any experience with developing a stand-alone application that communicates with a Rockwell Software "Factory Talk
View" application?
I'm wondering if I could create a free-standing app that would be able to retrieve data from Factory Talk and to communicate through Factory Talk to a PLC. I'm assuming that this could be done by reading/writing the tag database inside Factory Talk.
Any experience with this? Or, possibly any web sites where I might be able to learn a little more about this?
Thanks.