PC-S7 Communications - Newbie Help

An AB guy here trying to help someone out on an S7 of which I know virtually nothing.

It is a 31xC and he has the Simatic software on his laptop. I am looking for just a quick summary of how I can plug into and communicate with the processor.

Siemens sold him a cable, insisting it would work, but it is a -200 cable. I believe the -300 and -200 cables are totally different.

There is an HMI in the panel that communicates to the PLC through an MPI interface box. I grabbed the serial end of this and plugged into the notebook but could not figure out how to simply see the PLC or anything.

If someone can give a couple of quick pointers or a few steps I'd be appreciative.

Reply to
Backhand

Well I use a field pg and use the supplied MPI lead for both 200 and 300. Not sure if it's the same lead with an ordinary laptop

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

In my experience, the S7-200 & the S7-300 programming cables are not compatible. Well the two I have aint anyway.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

On or about Sun, 9 Oct 2005 01:08:10 +0100 someone/thing calling him/her/itself "sQuick" inked the following:

That's my impression too, with the -200 being of a PPI flavor.

I need some advice on how to set up the software to communicate. I suspect that the cable is one of the 'devices' you select but I couldn't make any sense of it.

The other cable there, from HMI to S7 via a Lauer (I think) MPI interface box, should work, but not knowing the software I couldn't figure it out in the little bit of time I looked at it.

There also is a second cable from a modem, running through yet another box, an MPI interface, and then stacked on top of the first connector on the MPI port of the CPU. One would think between these two cable I should have one that would work.

What does it take, in terms of cabling and software settings, to use the Profibus port? Do I have to get into the S7 to enable this port or is it ready to go as is?

Reply to
Backhand