Alarm handling via OPC

Hello,
I'm a PC programmer and I have no knowledge about PLC programming!
I have a project where I will use SIMATIC NET PB SOFTNET-DP (Siemens) to
communicate via PROFIBUS-DP with a Siemens S7 200 PLC. I'm master.
I understand how to read and write data.
What I don't know is how alarms are handled.
So if someone would please explain this like they would for a 4 year old, I will be forever grateful!
// Anders
--
English is not my first, or second, language
so anything strange, or insulting, is due to