dynamic mode for optimal control

Hi All,

I am working on a dyamic control of a mobile robot. I have developed a nonlinear dynamic model. What I am not sure is how accurate the dynamic model is needed in order to have a stable optimal control output?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Everett

Reply to
Everett X. Wang

If the robot is stable by itself, set all your gains to zero.

If you want more than just a stable robot you may need to use more information than what you've shared with us.

I've got a pretty jaundiced view of "optimal control". It works great, as long as you jigger the process by putting a cost on the control variables. This is almost never done because the control variables are expensive -- it's done to fake the algorithm into making a 'safer' controller, and the margins are hard to figure out.

I suggest you try the high-control-variable-cost approach, but go back and check your system for stability as you vary the parameters of of your plant. If you want to do this in a formal manner, study up on robust control.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I have picked a control cost and control variable and obtained a two point boundary value problem, which is solved by using relaxtion method. The process requires iteration. But it is not too bad for a P3 machine. What is the high-control-variable-cost approach? I have not studied robust control. What is the main difference between optimal control and robust control? Can you tell me the pros and cons of the two methods?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend,

Everett ps. You have given me quite a few suggestions already on the selection of brushless vs. step motor, optimal control etc before. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Everett X. Wang

"Everett X. Wang" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Iek6j.76163$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

It is a matter of means that you use. The following refers to linear and nonlinear systems:

  1. The transfer function should be as accurate as possible.
  2. Then you can find best feedforward use.
  3. In addition disturbances should also be best compensated.

What I mean can be seen in an example with 2 disturbances:

Page 1: Definitions Page 2: PID control Page 3: PID and feedforward Page 4: PID and feedforward and disturbance compensations

The examples are based on a linear system. The linear ODEs can be replaced by nonlinear ODEs if known. The process transfer function can be preferably found via measurements.

Reply to
JCH