Electrical schematic creation tools.

Hi, I'm looking around for a piece of CAD software that will assist with the creation of Electrical schematics. I currently use AutoCAD LT, but I've found a number of other tools that look more suited to the job. What do you guys use?

I'd really like something to auto number my wires, create a parts list, and have DXF export so customers can view the drawings. Most schematics are around 100 pages, sometimes much less. I don't always use PLC's - sometimes motion controllers with their onboard I/O, and I also interface to many non-standard devices (scientific equipment) that won't be in standard library's.

I've found a few different packages, and I would be interested in any constructive comments on any you've used - and any I've missed.. elcad wscad rswire autocad electrical - iasoft Electrical designer -aceri Eplan Promis.E

Some of these are out of my budget, I'm really aiming for

Reply to
Jason

Jason, the problem with most of the packages you list is that they are great for the task/project type they were designed for and very infuriating/inflexible on anything else. Remember that even if you find a package that can auto number wires and create a parts list you will still need to check it.. (some people don't!)

If you already have AutoCAD LT (we use AutoCAD2000) and are used to it - stick to it. It will give you DXF export and if you need to add the parts list thingy, I would try to buy add-ins (like Electrical) rather than change packages - from what you have posted, you would likely waste more time learning something new, than save time actually using it.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

(same as RSWire)

There's also Schemelect - a French package - avoid !

Promis.E and RSWire are one and the same now, owned by Rockwell.

I use RSWire but it is an infuriating package with many bugs and strange idiosyncrasies. However, it does automate wire numbering and cross-referencing and it is worth having for that alone.

It's BOM and reporting features are clunky, it's symbol libraries are limited to Schneider and IEC - strangely no AB.

It does save hours over AutoCad when moving pages around, though. Overall it is better than plain AutoCad.

You can get a designer version with "built-in" AutoCad else you need a full AutoCad licence.

JPG

Reply to
JPG

Promis-e and RSWire are NOT one and the same!!!! Rockwell does NOT own Promis-e. I don't think that RSWire is even licensed from ECT. If I remember correctly, RSWire was developed in-house at Rockwell Software. There is a HUGE difference between Promis-e and RSWire.

I would suggest that you check out Promis-e on the web. Or, check in one of the AutoCAD newsgroups and ask there. This may be a little touchy as AutoCAD now has a product that competes directly with Promis-e, AutoCAD Electrical. It used to be that Promis-e was an add-on to AutoCAD. ACAD-E is OK, but it is typical AutoDesk.

Reply to
Beer Guy

As I understand it from the UK guys at ECT (and from Schneider Electric), ECT are now owned by Schneider Electric. My understanding was that there are libraries for all the big name automation players (including AB) - we were very impressed with it (but then we currently use CATIA so it doesn't take much to impress us). We were told that RSWire was licenced from ECT.

There are (were) as others have said two versions of promis-e, a standalone version (incorporating some kind of Autocad 'runtime engine') and an add in for Autocad. They were (are) also working on a version to work with Visio.

HTH,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

cross-referencing

Reply to
mindspringnews

The package "protel" noramlly used for electronic drawings is effectively adaptable for this task. For isntance a bus can be either a 16 bit data bus or a 3 phase or single phase power bus.

Some people swear by this package.

Reply to
Eunometic

cross-referencing

In the UK, Rockwell definitely own ECT, perhaps not in other parts of the world.

RSWires macros all begin ECT_ - seems to me that either Promis-E and RSWire are one and the same, or RSWire is using much of ECT's code.

Reply to
JPG

You missed PCschematic ELautomation.

The demo is functionally unlimited, so you can check out the automatic wirenumbering, creation of part lists, DXF-export and the automatic PLC functions, before buying

Reply to
LH