First DALI laboratory in the US with internet control

Dr. Martin Moeck installed the first digital addressable DALI lighting laboratory in the US (see

for a description of DALI) at Pennsylvania State University in the Department of Architectural Engineering, Illumination Option. Every lamp can be controlled/dimmed/switched locally or from remote. The lab size is 120 m2, and there are about 70 fixtures, including color changing fixtures, TV lights, spotlights and typical commercial lighting. New items that have not been demonstrated before include DALI spotlights and real time remote control via web cam and web browser of any lamp from anywhere in the world. Ask Dr. Moeck for a web camera password and a login password if you want to control the camera and the lights live from your desktop. Previous highlights include remote control of the laboratory lights and the web cam by the ERCO management in Luedenscheid on Oct. 16, 2003. The lab serves as a teaching and research facility for the latest lamp, luminaire and lighting controls technology, and was made possible with donations from Osram, GE, Philips, Tridonic, ZumtobelStaff, ERCO, Lucifer Lighting, and Peerless Lighting. Electrical and wiring components were donated by BradHarrison/ The Woodhead Company.

Details at

Sincerely, Martin Moeck, Ph.D., Assistant Professor Pennsylvania State University Department of Architectural Engineering

104 Eng A University Park, PA 16802 snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu 814 863 3555 Fax 814 863 4789
Martin Moeck

Well this is the person I have been looking for!! I have been for the last 2 months been doing some research into the use of DALI in an office lighting system for use in a state government building. It won't be for the entire building but for a special operations area. I have been trying to find software that would enable the use of ethernet and the control of single fittings (3 x 18W T5 lamps). The entire system would use about 50 or so fittings. Problem is the only software I have found only controls groups of fittings and not single fittings. Maybe you have something that might help me out or point me in the right direction? The great thing about DALI, you dont need a seperate controller to access the ballasts. I know I can place the DALI system on to an ethernet system its jus the software side for users that is the biggest hurdle at the moment, would be great if there was something similar to Tridonics winDIM but had the ability to control single fittings. Well hope you understand what I am tryin to do.

Robert

Reply to
Robert