Hazardous area gas group for Ammonia

Hi, Can someone tell me what Hazardous area gas group Ammonia belongs to i.e., Group IIB or IIC? We need to specify intrinsically safe instruments for
Ammonia service. Thanks, Raj

Hi, Raj. That would be the "smelly" gas group. ;-)
Seriously, that is a good question because the classification it falls into will depend largely upon what else it is stored with - is it wet? dry? any hydrogen?
AS2381.1 Appendix I gives a good run-down if you would like to nut it out yourself from the MSDS. As a LEI, I would be unhappy with less than IIB, but IIC is possibly quite okay.
Cameron:-)
Cameron Dorrough wrote:

The form(s) of your ammonia and the compounds it reacts with, might make different parts of your process and facility subject to several standards and safety considerations. Why not require safe compliance with both IIB and IIC? Contract documents often list multiple requirements, and state that in the event of contradiction, choose the most expensive compliance as a default in your contract/bidrfp documents.
That way, when the vendor complains about costs, and can demonstate a less expensive way to safely comply, you have options. If you put several vendors in a bid situation, they talk about the issues with their competitors products, including but not limited to various standards of service and compliance.
James