Profibus DP-iS and RS485-IS

Hi, Has any one recently installed and commissioned a Profibus DP (Intrinsically Safe) network complete with RS485-IS Repeating Isolators and ET200iS Remote IO modules from Siemens? Any particular pitfalls to be avoided?

Also under what circumstances is a Profibus PA network required to co-exist with a Profibus DP-iS network? Armin Steinhoff, if you read this message, can you please respond?

European colleagues, has any one of you been recently involved with commissioning a BioDiesel plant? Do the new EU regulations stipulate the need for a Safety system (old Emergency Shutdown System) complying with IEC61511 standard? Thanks and regards, Raj Sreenevasan

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Hi, Raj - one pitfall I can think of is the Hazardous Area certification for these units may not be up to snuff under the current transition to IEC in Oz.

Even if the regulations where you are don't require IEC certification (which AFAIK these units don't have), thanks in part to the Longford gas plant problem a while back, you'll still need to get the whole thing approved by a Licensed Electrical Inspector and have the right paperwork in your Site Dossier.

If you find a way around the paper trail and get the system up and running well, please let me know 'cause I'm interested in trying the same myself on one of our sites. :-)

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough