Ice Thickness

I am desperately looking for a sensor that will measure Ice Thickness (from 0 to 50 mm of ice builtup) to be used in refrigeration systems.
Anyone has any idea who makes them?
Thanks
Clairvoyant wrote:

This problem can be solved using ultrasound sensors, but I haven't heard about the company, that is allready selling such sensors. I assume, that such sensor must be developed. If you you are interested, I can help you.
Wieslaw Bicz
---------=== mailto: snipped-for-privacy@optel.pl -=- http://www.optel.pl ====-------
b snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Clairvoyant) wrote in message

I would suggest an analog capacitative sensor. This will detect the increase in Er as the ice/water replaces air. It will work through sheet plastic or glass.
You will need to calibrate you analog output if you really want to measure thickness. I suggest you use sheet plastic of equicalent Er to water or learn how to freez panes of water or just make ice.
Just an example: http://www.gordonproducts.com/pca40.htm PCA40 Specifications This device has a 40mm square integral sensor with two, 6-32 threaded inserts. These inserts allow you to add an expanded sensing element, for increased sensitivity or application-specific customization of the sensing element.
It has a 1-6 VDC analog output, which is linear with respect to capacitance.

Plastic has an Er or 2 to 3.
Water has an Er of 80.
NOTHING has an Er similar to water.
Walter.