Ice Thickness

I am desperately looking for a sensor that will measure Ice Thickness (from 0 to 50 mm of ice builtup) to be used in refrigeration systems. Anyone has any idea who makes them?


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

This problem can be solved using ultrasound sensors, but I haven't heard about the company, that is allready selling such sensors. I assume, that such sensor must be developed. If you you are interested, I can help you.

Wieslaw Bicz

---------------========== OPTEL sp. z o.o. ===========---------------

------===== R&D: Ultrasonic Technology/Fingerprint Recognition ====------ ul. Otwarta 10a PL 50-212 Wroclaw Tel.:+48 71 3296854 Fax.:+48 71 3296852

--------==== mailto: -=-

formatting link

Reply to
Wieslaw Bicz

I would suggest an analog capacitative sensor. This will detect the increase in Er as the ice/water replaces air. It will work through sheet plastic or glass.

You will need to calibrate you analog output if you really want to measure thickness. I suggest you use sheet plastic of equicalent Er to water or learn how to freez panes of water or just make ice.

Just an example:

formatting link
Specifications This device has a 40mm square integral sensor with two, 6-32 threaded inserts. These inserts allow you to add an expanded sensing element, for increased sensitivity or application-specific customization of the sensing element.

It has a 1-6 VDC analog output, which is linear with respect to capacitance.

Reply to
The Enlightenment

Plastic has an Er or 2 to 3.

Water has an Er of 80.

NOTHING has an Er similar to water.


Reply to
Walter Driedger

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.