Impedance Diagram of Low Pass Filter

I am to draw an impedance diagram of a low pass filter and indicate the phase angle. Is the phase angle found by:

1) -arctan(wRC) or 2) -arctan(Xc/R) Appreciate if someone could advise which one of the above is correct.

TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

A proper answer requires more information about the filter than "low pass". For one thing, phase is a relative measure. You must describe what your reference is and where you want the angle. A drawing would help.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Presuming a RC ladder section Item 1 is correct if you drop i in w; so w=2*pi*f I presume that this is homework. You need to walk through the formulas and diagrams. This answer is right for this case, but the problem will occur again and you need to understand the fundamentals. Consider the divider formula Xc/(Xc+R) then 1/(1+R/Xc) compute the phase angle. Then draw the complex plane figures and see how you get the same answer. At some point the "meaning" will come through. It's there just look a little.

RRogers

Reply to
RRogers