[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Jerry Avins wrote:

But did you back them up to paper tape first?
Jim Stewart wrote:

I did my first two-pass assemblies that way, but by the time I used NROFF, I had 360K mini-floppies. You know, 5-1/4 inch.
That reminds me of a story I need to pass on.
When mini-floppies were still quite new on the scene, a family -- father, mother, and eager son -- arrived at the Trenton Computer Fair with a truckload of them (180K, 3" high) and set up shop on the tailgate. They all wore tee shirts with "MINI FLOPPIES" printed across the front. They did a fairly brisk business all morning (I bought two). After lunch, Mother minded the store while father and son went to see the other stalls and inside exhibits. I happened to pass that way again in the afternoon and saw Mother alone. I just stared at the lettering on her tee for the better part of a minute -- she was aware of the scrutiny -- and finally said, "I don't think that's entirely appropriate." She flushed, then laughed, saying "It never occurred to me. I have to tell my husband when he comes back." I passed that way again as they were packing to go. She gave me a big grin and her husband flashed me a thumbs up.
Jerry

Jerry Avins wrote:

You had a nine pin printer? All we had was a worn out Kleinschmidt 60 ma teletype for a printer.
Creative recycling is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ;-)
prove it.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

A Kleinschmidt? We would have dreamed of hav'n a Kleinschmidt. Would have been like a laser printer to us. We used to take polaroid pictures of the VT05 screen for hardcopy. And glad to have them we were...
http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm
. Frankly, being able to see the equations and figures in the

Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you. They won't!
-Andrew M

I wrote an NROFF for the Diablo 1610 (or was it the 1620?) and it supported graphics via just the period. The fine steps horizontally and vertically, rolling the paper up and down, was fun to watch. It also did typesetting with both inter-word and inter-character space adjustments and supported some modest kerning, as well. And that was years after writing one for an early Centronix dot matrix.
Whatever happened to the old chisel and stone tablet, anyway? It's not as though stone has become harder to come by...
Jon

You youngster! You had chisels? ...
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

The chisels got dull, and the availible stones got smaller. :(
prove it.
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

Get off my lawn you dang kids!!

You had ones *and* zeros?? You had it so easy.
David K. Bryant wrote:

OK, just what is "NROFF"?
I'm almost as old as Jerry and I do not recognize term. [PS my 1st Fortran programs were executed by vacuum tubes ;/
Richard Owlett wrote:

Start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roff .
Jerry

Richard Owlett wrote:

... snip ...

New ROFF.
CBFalconer wrote:

And TROFF is Typesetter ROFF. There's also GROFF.
Jerry

Anybody else remember DEC Runoff? The name was similar, but I don't think the macros were very similar. But that was so many years ago...
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is it FUN to be
at a MIDGET?
Grant Edwards wrote:

It was known as roff for short. NROFF and TROFF were patterned after it. The macros were dot so much different as not yet standardized. I had several NROFF .ms files for different printers, even one for an early HP inkjet.
Jerry

No kidding? For some reason, I had always thought it was the other way around -- probably just because I used Unix nroff before I used DEC runoff.
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! All right, you
at degenerates! I want this
Grant Edwards wrote:

As a matter of principle, please preserve the attributions for material you quote.

^^^
Jerry,
Was that deliberate, given that most of the macros began with a period, e.g. '.p' for a paragraph?
--
Andy McC

Andy McC wrote:

No, dot deliberate at all. I habe a code.
Jerry

Jerry Avins wrote:

EBCDIC, BAUDOT, HOLLERITH or ASCII