[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Yup. Of course it has to be gnumake, too.
--
% Randy Yates % "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % from Satellite 2"
Randy Yates wrote:

If you are going to organize all that, why not use Texinfo up front, and postpone the output format decision as far as possible. Maybe diagrams?
Randy Yates wrote:

You're preaching to the guy that ate the choir!!! (I know, I know it's only going to be a 0.1% of the readers that are going to get the reference ... And it's too long to explain :-( )

Shame, shame, shame on you for not mentioning Firefox!!!! (to counter the number 1 evil, from the evil empire!! :-)) And Thunderbird!!! (to replace the #2 evil)
It's been more than six years that I have not had MS Office on my machine (the last version I ever had or used was Office 97 !!!). As for IE or Outlook, I have *never* used either one of them (well, IE is unavoidable, as some applications use it directly without the user having any saying... Plus the updates... But Outlook, that one, *never*, not a single instance under any circumstance)

Ohhh, nice!!! You did go for PostgreSQL instead of the unbelievably crappy toy that is MySQL !!! Ok, kudos... You're forgiven for omiting Firefox ;-)

Check. (actually, the latest version of Wine does run most things quite nicely -- it even runs installers to actually perform installations: it creates a directory drive_c under the .wine config dir, and creates the Program Files directory, etc. etc. Pretty impressive). But yeah, VMWare really does kick butt !

Just three months ago?? Shame, shame, sh.... Oh, wait, no, you're a PostgreSQL fan... Ok, you're forgiven for this one too :-)
(been using Linux since the days of RedHat 5.2 -- back around 1998)
But it's nice to hear the support and the feeling that I'm not alone (well, I do know that I'm not alone; you know what I'm saying :-))
Cheers,
Carlos --

Yes, yes, yes - my bad! No Outlook/IE here on this boy's system - I use Firefox and XEmacs/gnus and my wife uses Firefox/Thunderbird.
It is also unthinkable that I neglected to mention Octave in a dsp newgroup. Thanks, kudos, accolades to those who developed it.

Yea, brother: Amen. May the open-source force be with you.
--
% Randy Yates % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % I saw... the ocean's daughter."

[snip]
Yes, there is a free version of VMware Server http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/03/vmware_goes_free /
MS also released a free version of its Virtual Server as well. http://www.theregister.com/2006/04/03/ms_virtual_free /
And then there's the Open Source Xen Virtualization effort: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/14/red_hat_xen_novell_virtualization /
Robert

I haven't tried any of these alternate virtual machines, but vmware is awesome. I was able to run CCS in it with a parallel port JTAG and all the drivers worked just fine. Absolutely amazing.
But the really cool thing is: all those damn reboots MS needs can now happen inside the virtual machine without a single real reboot.
--
% Randy Yates % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % goes floating by
writes:

Real player isn't first rate , it phones home quite a bit(realscheduler.exe).
How about using a open source media player ?
vlc http://www.videolan.org/vlc / mplayer http://www.mplayerhq.hu xms http://www.xmms.org /
vlc or mplayer will just about play any media file available
Alex
Alex Gibson wrote:

How about Real Alternative? http://www.codecguide.com/download_real.htm
Jerry

Jerry, it looks like these are all windows packages. Blicch!
--
% Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % she does the things you do,

That's *really* bad if it also elides [OT].
--

John Devereux

.
.
.
It does. I've bitched to them about this before.
Here's the deal: If the Subject: line is entirely bracketed text, it will appear on any page.
Bracketed text on the Subject: line (if it comes AFTER unbracketed text) will appear on any page.
Bracketed text that comes **BEFORE** unbracketed text will be blanked on the front page for the newsgroup; it will appear on all other pages. . . Another interesting Google Groups syntax screw-up: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/browse_frm/thread/41a7b54fc6ec534c/5eec74c643da868a?q=author:rubicon+electronics If you click the *show options* link, you will see that the Email: for Rubicon is enclosed in parenthesis; at the entry for the post (#20) in the left frame, no author is listed. 8-)

Then use a proper news reader.
The Google system is a damned nuisance. Especially when its users don't quote the message they are replying to.

If you really feel that way, I think you ought to ask for your money back, Chris.
--
% Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for
Beethoven.

How does it's being free argue against the fact that the usenet interface sucks and is a nuisance to the rest of us who don't use it?
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! NANCY!! Why is
at everything RED?!

I don't use it. Others impose it's restrictions on me.

Doh!
<Removing foot from mouth>
PS: I enjoyed parusing your quest document.
--
% Randy Yates % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % I saw... the ocean's daughter."
Hi Tim, congratulations on finishing your book. I'll bet you're glad "it's all over".

(snipped)

Ha ha. But posting only good reviews on Amazon wouldn't that make those reviews, as a whole, fraudulent?
Actually, it's fair to your potential readers, and good for you as the author, to see all reviews both good and bad. It's good for you because it helps you improve your book for future editions.
Tim, ya' know what you might do that's useful? Start compiling an errata 'cause people will start asking you for the book's errata. And, of course, the errata can be used to improve future printings of your book. (You're probably already doing this.)
Best of Luck, [-Rick-]
Rick Lyons wrote:

All true. But I had to live up to the subject line...

As I find things they'll go into the errata. Most of the issues I have found so far are things that I want to add should the book ever go to a second edition, but I have no illusions about the book being error-free.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
(snipped)

Hi Tim,
Ha, you may be right. I once had one of the country's greatest DSP gurus Fred Harris (of Blackman-Harris window fame) tell me that when he wrote his DSP book he was warned by his friend Bernard Sklar (of digital comms fame) that "You can never find all the typos."
Ya' know, I think Sklar is probably correct.
[-Rick-]
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:27:31 GMT, R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org (Rick Lyons) wrote:

Sure you can... offer $25 reward for first reporter of each error. Then every student in the world will be pounding through your book.
"Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by Thomas did that. By the end of first semester there were no more rewards to be claimed ;-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |