[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Jim Thompson wrote:

-- snip --

I assume that means you don't want to look at it.
I doubt that It'll make any difference, but I'm going to forward your comment to my editor and the marketing folks I met at the show.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'll be buying a copy anyway.
But I see no need for scripting on web sites... and it's dangerous.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Yes, Jim, forcing people to use javascript is a very bad idea:
http://www.analog-innovations.com/SafeMailTo.html
&lt;script type="text/javascript"> var v2="D5MNAFVSIF44YFD8CRMI6IU2ZZ3IWPCFSY"; var v7=unescape("%02G%22%23%16%234%00%202Qt8%28%25T%2C5%60%20X%27%3AD%3B.Z%269%23m%25%3C4"); var v5=v2.length; var v1=""; for(var v4=0;v4&lt;v5;v4++) { v1+=String.fromCharCode(v2.charCodeAt(v4)^v7.charCodeAt(v4)); }document.write('&lt;a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="window.location='mail\u0074o\u003a'+v1+'? subject=From%20Web%20Site'+''">'+'Send E-mail to Analog Innovations&lt;/a>'); &lt;/script>
So try
http://www.proles.net/emailencoder /
No JS, no spam, no pain. It works.
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:24:36 -0400, Mike Monett wrote:

Yep. It's a Java encoder that I scarfed from someplace I can't even remember.
I'll look up your reference and see what it does.
Some ass has enrolled that address in some spam sites :-(
So I'll probably go with some kind of form method.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Tim Wescott wrote:

Any chance you could .pdf and post 3 or 4 first chapter pages?
Jim Stewart wrote:

Not me, but I'll forward this suggestion to their marketing folks.
My editor is paranoid about letting the book loose for pirate copies, but she may be amenable to teasers.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Ummm...?! Elsevier puts - or used to put, anyway - the book in PDF format on the accompanying CD-ROM.
larwe wrote:

I just checked -- no book pdf. From the editor's comments that was her decision -- do you write for her, or do you write for someone else?
I was trying to scheme at the show about a way to do a book index that wouldn't be too human readable -- like stripping out all graphics and non-indexable words, tagging what's left with page numbers, and doing searches. One should be able to do it without even encrypting the book. Makes you wonder if the technology already exists.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

I believe I go through the same acquisitions editor (T.G.). However my last book was published more than a year ago... policies change.

Assuming that this doesn't affect how much you get paid, it's available on ebay for $47.61 with $4.95 shipping. Saves $10 or so. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF29135706
mk wrote:

If you go through the Powell's link they give me a kickback, but I get royalties from Elsevier either way. The money is nice, but I care more that people are reading the book and benefiting from it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Have you set up Amazon.com Associates? The good thing about Amazon is that you get a kickback for other things people buy in the same session. For instance, I wrote some articles using the Mac mini and did an associates link to the mini on my web site; a few people who bought minis through that link bought me a couple of pizzas.
Of course I do learn a lot of distasteful things about the stuff people buy... for quite a while my first book's page showed context-sensitive advertising saying that people who bought this book also bought various sex books and videos... :) And what do you make of someone who buys two commercial DVD movies and 100 50-disk spindles of blank DVD-Rs in the one session?
larwe wrote:

-- snip --

Well, obviously they have some serious backing up to do, and they're going to watch a couple of movies while they're busy.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com "larwe" wrote:

He makes lots of backup copies as he plays the DVD so often, that he wears out the DVD, its copies and his upper body muscles...
:-) for the humour impaired.
--
Paul Carpenter | snipped-for-privacy@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk
larwe wrote:

If he wants to copy the movie, he rents it for 3bucks in the videothek.
--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy
Ban wrote:

He needs the artwork to copy too.
Jerry

Jerry Avins wrote:

You can download that in the net, i.e. http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php
--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy
Tim Wescott wrote:

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/707797/description#description

It hasn't made "Read the Can't Miss List!" or special offers in their BestBetBooks in Electronic & Electrical Engineering flyers, so I'll wait until December when they dump it at 40% off. They are currently trying to push Modeling and Verification Using UML Statecharts A Working Guide to Reactive System Design, Runtime Monitoring and Execution-based Model Checking- by Drusinsky http://books.elsevier.com/us//computereng/us/subindex.asp?maintarget=&isbn 50679492&country=United+States&srccode497&ref=&subcode=&head=&pdf=&basiccode=&txtSearch=&SearchField=&operator=&order=&community=computereng I wonder if that delivers any value; I'm suspicious of these flash-and-dazzle things that spend all of one page per major topic- just overview crap.
Fred Bloggs wrote:

Given what I've seen of Tim's other writings -- http://www.embedded.com/2000/0010/0010feat3.htm is an example -- and the insightful help he dispenses in the newsgroups in this cross posting, I think you're overly pessimistic. I'll buy it and see.
Jerry

Jerry Avins wrote:

I was referring to Drusinsky and not Wescott. But $20 per hectopage seems a bit steep for a paperback...