[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Could be a lot of money...
--
% Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"
✖
Randy Yates wrote:

If you know you plan to do that, maybe not. :-)
Jerry
✖
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:54:59 GMT in comp.arch.embedded, Randy Yates

[...]
Knuth has always offered a bounty of $2.56 for errors found in his books. But I think most people frame the check rather than cash it. I know I would...
Regards, -Úve
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Add pictures here
✖
Jim Thompson wrote:

At the rate that I generate typos I'm not sure I could swing it. If I had that much money I'd just go ahead and buy a small South American country, anyway.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi Jim,
interesting. I'm gonna guess that the typical new textbook has 40-100 errors that should be corrected.
So you're talkin' a fair amount of money there.
[-Rick-]
Add pictures here
✖
Rick Lyons wrote:

But shouldn't that come out of the publisher's cut? After all, what are editors for? ;]
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:34:07 -0500, Richard Owlett

(snipped)

Hi Rich,
ah but no magazine editor or book editor that I know of is capable of detecting technical errors, for example in an equation. They're not skilled in all aspects of every engineering topic (no one is). So the editors are expecting that the content of a magazine article, or a technical book, is correct. It's up to the author to make sure the material is correct.
The problem is: once an author writes some technical material that author is the *LEAST* reliable person on the planet Earth to find mistakes in that material. I'm sure you know that. So, ... finding a competent person to review technical writing is **VERY** important. The problem is: reviewing tech material in a thorough way is painful, unpleasant, and yields almost no reward. So it's a royal pain to ask reviewers to carefully review your writing and then tell those reviewers that, by the way, there's no reward for their efforts.
See Ya', [-Rick-]
Add pictures here
✖
Rick Lyons wrote:

True, but at least for books, there is technical review before release.
Add pictures here
✖

Hi, Yes. There usually, but not always, is a tech review of proposed manuscripts.
[-Rick-]
Add pictures here
✖
Rick Lyons wrote:

Rick, you're talking to the (or at least one of) my copy editor(s).
Lewin -- did you go over all the math, then?
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi Tim, Ah ha. Interesting.
The reason I said there is "usually" a technical review is because the last technical book that I bought contained SOOooo many technical errors that it's clear that no tech review was performed. None!
The typical tech book has a silly little "typo" or misspelled word once every 20-30 pages. The book I bought had an average of more than one "typo" per page!! I am NOT joking. (One page contained four "typos"!!)
What an unprofessional mess by both the authors and the Publisher.
[-Rick-]
Add pictures here
✖
Rick Lyons wrote:

Name them, or at least the publisher. It might induce them to shape up.
Jerry
✖

Hi Jer,
I knew what I'd written probably sounded very mysterious by my not giving any specifics.
I didn't give the book's title, right now, for legal reasons.
However, the publisher was SAMS Publishing (Indianapolis, Indiana). I will *NEVER* buy a SAMS book, sigh unseen, again.
[-Rick-]
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:30:09 GMT, R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org (Rick Lyons) wrote:

I've known that rule for almost 20 years and even back then it was common knowledge. I also don't buy SAMS and never have.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:48:34 GMT, Jonathan Kirwan

Hi,
Well Jon, you're a much faster "learner" than I am.
Regards, [-Rick-]
Add pictures here
✖
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

There was a time when looking for a intro to something new I'd give preference to a SAMS book. Not since the early 70's though. Hmmm, did they get bought out in late 60's/early 70's?
Add pictures here
✖
Richard Owlett wrote:

Its been sold quite a few times since 1967.
http://www.samswebsite.com/about.htm
prove it.
✖
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:41:01 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Twenty-five bucke!!!????!?!? Geez, I'd proof the whole thing for ten bucks a typo! ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Add pictures here
✖

[snip]
Rich, Looks like you are a cheap date ;-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |