Tensioning System

I have a request to upgrade a couple of machines that I designed and built a few years ago that winds polyester tape onto a drum under
controlled tension. The machine has a motorized mandrel that turns a metal drum. A tool platform travels back and forth down the axis controlled so that there is a set ratio of mandrel turns/platform motion. The purpose of the winder is to evenly wrap tape under a controlled tension over top of a raw rubber sheet on the drum. The drum is placed into an autoclave where the rubber is cured. The tape shrinks as the temp/humidity changes. This ensures the rubber cures with no voids.
The existing tensioning system consists of assembly where the 3" wide tape feeds around a 6" rubber roller, through some idler pulleys to the mandrel. The rubber roller is attached to a disc brake. Varying the air pressure to the break pads adjusts tension. The roll of tape has a pretensioner to keep the tape from slipping on the rubber roller.
This system does not work properly and there is a lot of hysteresis in the disc brake. I am thinking of using a DC regen motor in torque mode to pull against the tape. The problems I can see with trying this is that the motor will be continuously running in "brake mode" and heat dissipation will be a big issue. The system will have to supply up to 1000 lbs tension at up to 10 ft/sec.
I'm trying to offer options to the user and this is one possibility I thought of. I will be talking to drive manufacture about this.
I thought someone here may have some alternates to suggest and/or systems on the market that they have used before.
What say yea?
Be well,
HoP
The preceding message represents personal opinions and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not. Feel free to disregard.
------- Words have no Warranty ------ ------- No View without Merit ------

ABB ACS600 variable speed drives have an "option program" to do this out-of-the-box pretty much - using an ordinary AC induction motor and not a more expensive DC one. You could google for the application notes..
HTH, Cameron:-)
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:00:09 +1000, "Cameron Dorrough"

I'll take a look. Thanks
Be well,
HoP
The preceding message represents personal opinions and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not. Feel free to disregard.
------- Words have no Warranty ------ ------- No View without Merit ------
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:00:09 +1000, "Cameron Dorrough"

After digging into the details this looks like it is going to work out pretty well. It saved me a lot of looking. Thanks a lot.
Be well,
HoP
The preceding message represents personal opinions and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not. Feel free to disregard.
------- Words have no Warranty ------ ------- No View without Merit ------
proclaimed to the world:

You're welcome.
Cameron:-)
HoPpeR trading at 1492 wrote:

And just size the motor for the heat dissipation, or run the motor in parallel with a rotary damper (something like an automotive torque converter comes to mind, if the speeds work out right).
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services