45-degree diagonal cutters?

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:49:02 -0800, life imitates life wrote:

Swedish.
✖

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lindstrom-7291-Supreme-Oblique-Flush-Endcutter-new_W0QQitemZ300379118309QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item45effd9ae5
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lindstrom-2211B-Oblique-Top-Cutter-Plier-Jewelers-Tool_W0QQitemZ110493144012QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b9e793cc
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 10, 5:26 pm, life imitates life

I cobbed a bunch of lindstrom cutters and pliers from a place I worked at years ago. They were going belly up and tossed out boxes of the things. I'm still using the few that I haven't given away or broken. As long as you don't use them to cut steal (hence the broken cutters) they are awesome. I wish I would have grabbed more.
Add pictures here
✖

Were they going belly up because of buying only the finest, or despite of that?
At the liquidation sales for some bankrupt companies, sometimes I have seen hard, tangeable evidence of WHY they went broke.
Add pictures here
✖
SS > I cobbed a bunch of lindstrom cutters and pliers SS > from a place I worked at years ago. They were SS > going belly up and tossed out boxes of the things. SS > I'm still using the few that I haven't given away SS > or broken. As long as you don't use them to cut SS > steal (hence the broken cutters) they are SS > awesome. I wish I would have grabbed more.
G > Were they going belly up because of G > buying only the finest, or despite of that?
G > At the liquidation sales for some bankrupt G > companies, sometimes I have seen hard, G > tangeable evidence of WHY they went broke.
lifeimitateslife wrote: lil > I think you assign "hard and tangible" to lil > others when it can be assigned to you. lil > Hard and tangible evidence that your lil > statistical analysis prowess ain't that great. lil > lil > If the difference between buying $600 lil > worth of cheap shit tools or $5000 lil > worth of long lasting, high quality tools lil > is a figure that you think could break lil > just about any company, < snip>
Are you saying that the outfit that Sansui Samurai described as having gone belly up did the right thing by buying $5000 worth of Rolls Royce hand tools rather than the Xcelite ones which would have cost $600?
G > Were they going belly up because of G > buying only the finest, or despite of that?
Didn't I convey two alternatives there?
That the outfit failed: A. BECAUSE they buy "only the finest" or B. DESPITE buying "only the finest"?
It's like option A set you off so much that you overlooked option B.
Judging from the way you took it very personally, I'm guessing that you worked somewhere where you groused about the shit Xcelite nippers all day long....
How is that different from the MacIntosh kooks?
Add pictures here
✖

No. I am saying that your claim that it is any indication of a causation for having gone bankrupt, is a fallacy, and it is.
Add pictures here
✖
Full context restored for unanswered questions.
SS > I cobbed a bunch of lindstrom cutters and pliers SS > from a place I worked at years ago. They were SS > going belly up and tossed out boxes of the things. SS > I'm still using the few that I haven't given away SS > or broken. As long as you don't use them to cut SS > steal (hence the broken cutters) they are SS > awesome. I wish I would have grabbed more.
G > Were they going belly up because of G > buying only the finest, or despite of that? G > G > At the liquidation sales for some bankrupt G > companies, sometimes I have seen hard, G > tangeable evidence of WHY they went broke.
lifeimitateslife wrote: lil > I think you assign "hard and tangible" to lil > others when it can be assigned to you. lil > Hard and tangible evidence that your lil > statistical analysis prowess ain't that great. lil > lil > If the difference between buying $600 lil > worth of cheap shit tools or $5000 lil > worth of long lasting, high quality tools lil > is a figure that you think could break lil > just about any company, < snip>
G > Are you saying that the outfit that G > Sansui Samurai described as having G > gone belly up did the right thing by G > buying $5000 worth of Rolls Royce G > hand tools rather than the Xcelite G > ones which would have cost $600?
lil > No. I am saying that your claim that it is any indication of a lil > causation for having gone bankrupt, is a fallacy, and it is.
That you disagree does not make something a logical fallacy.
Wasteful overspending and overcommitment in purchasing are common contributors to business failure. The number one cause of failure for small business is undercapitalization or excessive cost of money. ie Cost controls.
The stuff that "belly up" companies throw away or liquidate MAY VERY WELL reveal important symptoms of problems that destroyed them.
Like most people here I enjoy and appreciate truly good quality tools, FOR ME.
As others have mentioned, theftability, loss and abuse CAN MEAN that the Xcelite tools provide a better Return On Investment.
The nature of the work, the security of individuals toolboxes, the number of people who might potentially forget to return a tool are all variables that could decide whether the ROLLS ROYCE quality of nippers are a good or bad idea.
Fluorescent light bulbs at $ 4 a shot are great if your mortgage is totally paid off. If you're selling your home next week or if you're a landlord the ROI's not there.
Businesses OWNING their own facilities sometimes find that they are better off to sell their own building and rent it back because they can't charge off any building cost if they OWN the building.
I neither condone this nor like it, I just report it.
I LOVE well machined high quality tools and craftsmanship, but it doesn't always show up on the P&L sheet. I wish it did.
You seem to be applying personal taste to profitability rationalizations.
That's partly why "bean counters" are so widely disliked, isn't it?
My background is in small businesses where you wear many hats and can't blame "that other guy".
G > Were they going belly up because of G > buying only the finest, or despite of that? G > G > Didn't I convey two alternatives there? G > G > That the outfit failed: G > A. BECAUSE they buy "only the finest" or G > B. DESPITE buying "only the finest"? G > G > It's like option A set you off so much that G > you overlooked option B.
Did you miss option B, lil ?
G > Judging from the way you took it very G > personally, I'm guessing that you worked G > somewhere where you groused about G > the shit Xcelite nippers all day long....
G > How is that different from the G > MacIntosh kooks?
I wrote this BEFORE I read your posted story about exploding at a new guy for using your tools. Did somebody at the company give him permission to do so?
Telling the new guy to use your toolbox would seem to be fairly typical hazing or office politics considering your reaction.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/12/2010 6:41 AM, Greegor wrote:
Can anybody tell me why Xcelite nut drivers smell like puke?
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©
RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:

Mold is eating the plastic.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 22:54:58 -0500, RFI-EMI-GUY

Cellulose Acetate Butyrate. <http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID84 It's mildly aromatic forming Butyric Acid, which is what makes rancid butter and vomit smell so disgusting. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid Old Sears Craftsman handles are made from the same stuff. My ancient Xcelite nut driver set still reeks after about 40 years. The stuff is an organic fatty acid as my plastic handles have now accumulated a layer of white mold or fungus. You can use any chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent to clean the plastic, but that will draw out the Butyric Acid, resulting in even a worse smell.
✖

Cause their polymer formulation sucks compared to that which Sears uses.
Add pictures here
✖

I never posted the puke comment. Has a cowardly sporger been putting words in my mouth?
I see that the original header from RFI-EMI-GUY's message shows some info about the message being replied to.
It looks like some coward is using eternal-september to sporge me.
snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org
Add pictures here
✖
Greegor wrote:

Learn to read. He deleted all the text from your post, but left the header information. Typical of some careless posters.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
On 2/15/2010 12:39 AM, Greegor wrote:

Sorry; I meant to snip out your message properly but didn't have proper tool!
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

Lindstrom Precision seems to have some choices: http://www.restockit.com/4-Angled-Fc-Pliers -(188-GA54JV).html?source=froogle&Bvar50F1&Bvar60F1&Bvar70F1
perhaps model 7280 or model 7285 Expensive: I found US$73 for 7280, US$110 for 7285,
http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Cooper%20Tools/Web%20Data/Xcelite%20Catalog.pdf 449 (54 of 122) Xcelite Diagonal End Cutter Pliers Angled Diagonal End Cutter, GA54J and GA5A4JV (packaging difference only) maybe US$23 450 (55 of 122) has Angled Head Cutter EGA54J, Transverse End Cutter EC54 - may not be shape you want. Maybe $US36 Angled Tip Cutter LC665 maybe US$27
All cost estimates from www.froogle.com; all price estimates are probably exclusive of handling, shipping, taxes, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
One big difference in these types of tools, is whether they are made from sheet steel stampings, or forged steel. The forged steel versions typically last for decades, but cost more.
I have some miniature forged steel flush cutting pliers sold by Snap-On which have handles that are nearly 90 degrees to the cutting edges. The cutting jaws are fairly small, and project outward to one side. The reach of the cutting edges allows them to reach under obstructions by about 1/4". Some other forged steel flush cutting models I have were made by Hunter. Several are the typical cutters which have the cutting edges in a straight line to the handles, but a couple pair have the cutting edges at nearly 45 degrees, which make it possible to reach slightly under certain obstructions.
I think that flush cutting is always better than the common beveled cutting edges. Cutting requires less effort, and there's less distortion of the material that's just "pinched off" by common beveled jaws.
-- Cheers, WB .............

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:09:30 -0500, "Wild_Bill"

The lindstroms are not forged. They are fully machined from ball bearing steel.
Add pictures here
✖
AwlSome Auger wrote:

Just like the steel plate in your head?
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:57:04 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Yeah, it is so steely that it stole away any hope you ever had of being considered an intelligent individual in this group.
Add pictures here
✖
AwlSome Auger wrote:

Yawn. Another lame dimbulb attempt at a putdown.
THE DIMBULB SCORECARD
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement
snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org