45-degree diagonal cutters?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

OBTW, in the Navy we used a lot of lock wire made from inconel. Nuts on bolted flanges on piping in bilges, were seawater was a corrosion problem. The bolts/nuts/flanges were inconel, so the wire was too for compatibility.
daestrom

tie wire is soft steel.
--- ---

It certainly is as used on vintage cars, etc. High tensile stuff wouldn't twist without breaking.
Perhaps things are different on the planet Mr Life lives on.
--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:53:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

That is the very attribute that keeps lock wire from breaking. High tensile strength wire resists breaking when twisted.
You are confusing tensile capacity for brittleness, which this wire NEVER has. It is made from steel that is specifically formulated such that it will NOT work harden.
Not that you would or could even grasp the concept, since you are obviously unaware of what "tensile" means.

Perhaps you are too quick to jump on the know-it-all bandwagon, because you don't even come close.
ALL locking wire is made from stainless or it would rust right off the nuts and bolts it is threaded through to be locking. Perhaps where you live folks are only aware of how to act as if they have any grasp of physics. That sad part is that it is blatantly obvious that you do not.

"Tie wire"? Is that what you brits call "lock wire"? The wire used to keep fasteners from becoming loose and falling off of an assembly?
If so, you are dumber than dog shit. LOCK WIRE is ALL stainless. HIGH GRADE STAINLESS. It is a mission critical assembly element in nearly ANY AND ALL military assemblies where vibration is introduced.
That pretty much covers all of it, and no, they do not use soft steel for this purpose EVER, ANYWHERE. Anytime you get a chance, take a look and see if you EVER see any locked fasteners and assembly where the lock wire has rusted. You cannot. The reason is simple. Aside from the apparent lack of aptitude to grasp the concept to begin with that some here seem to possess.

Who cares about *only* military applications?
Lock wire was common on vintage cars, etc. Still used on London Taxis up until recently - may still be. And it is a soft iron wire which can be twisted easily.
--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:21:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

You're an idiot.

No. It was common on brit machinery... maybe. In the US, military methodologies like that were NOT used on cars.

And London Taxis are from a 60 year old design, no doubt. Again you sport your stupidity like a flag.

No, IDIOT! Soft iron wire would garner water in the twists and be rusted off within a matter of weeks, if not days.
You are never going to win this, because it is blatantly obvious how little you know about it.

Calling me that doesn't make it so. I'm an 'idiot' who can read a simple website. You, seemingly, can't.

Why do you harp on about what may or may not be used in the military? They are hardly a bastion of good practice given the numerous cock ups. In other words human.

And strictly controlled by a licensing authority. Who insist on many aspects of the design.

Now you're being an idiot. No steel or iron rusts through in a matter of weeks.

I've probably seen more lock wired nuts and bolts than you've had hot dinners.
--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:43:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Convenient ignorance of the fact that you were wrong about "vintage cars" noted.
Nice job of showing us how much more stupid you can be, once you have already been proven wrong.

You think they used stainless steel locking wire on vintage cars, do you? Are you just proving how wrong you can be?

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:22:41 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

There may be a misunderstanding here. I believe that, in the UK, "vintage" cars are defined as those manufactured between 1918 (?), and 1930. The term is much more widely interpreted in the USA. Even post-WWII cars get called vintage.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:43:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yes. Total pieces of shit that get VERY poor gas mileage. Gore would have a field day with the level of ignorance that takes place over there as it relates to energy waste during distribution and consumption.
So, asswipe... are they 35 mpg green mobiles, or ancient, archaic even, piece of shit tanks that give off more CO2 than all the cows on the planet?

The last 'gas' one was made over 40 years ago - oh one of small intellect.

You really do talk some bollocks.

Which make and model are you talking about? There are many. And which US cab does 35mpg while going about its normal business?
--
*A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine*

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:17:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

ANY cab company that has brains enough to corral a compact car fleet, you stupid twit. That is basic common sense. And there are plenty of them too. You really are going south in your old age, OR you have always been this stupid.

Thanks for showing you know even less about cars than tools. No *proper* cab ever made averages 35 mpg in a large city like London.
But perhaps you live in the sticks and know nothing of such things.
--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:15:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

You are behind the times. Plain and simple.

So no hard proof of your claims yet again?
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:43:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Not likely, little old fuckhead. I work with mil gear every day, and I have for decades. I knew about lock wires and the industrial uses for it back in the late 60s at less then ten years old.
You are out of your league, Plowtard boy.

That explains things. Your father wired up your nuts with it.
--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:19:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Oh boy! The Plowtard has no valid argument, so he reverts to utter stupidity.