A movie question about electrical engineering

Has anyone seen Fast and Furious 2?
They have a thing where it shoots a claw into a car and using high voltage it "shorts" the car's electrical system.

Can this be possible? I know they've tested similar stuff, but don't understand how it could work.
Peter wrote:

not me

a giant taser eh?

given enough juice you can make a serious arc, however the conductor size needed to sustain it would be rather large.
and then what is the power source? that's the same reason we don't have laser rifles and pistols yet.
in short, (pun intended) don't confuse movie fantasy with state of the art.
TimPerry wrote:

And you'd risk electrocuting the occupants. If their lives aren't an issue, I have a device that will stop a vehicle. A Barrett .50 BMG rifle.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

or an elephant

ok KIT: engage microlock now
TimPerry wrote:

Heck, you can stop an elephant with a mouse.
I guess that's why you never see elephants using GUI interfaces. ;-)
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

only for trunked systems