Advantages & Disadvantage of SCADA system?

See: "Hacker jailed for revenge sewage attacks"

An Australian man was today sent to prison for two years after he was found guilty of hacking into the Maroochy Shire, Queensland computerised waste management system and caused millions of litres of raw sewage to spill out into local parks, rivers and even the grounds of a Hyatt Regency hotel.

"Marine life died, the creek water turned black and the stench was unbearable for residents," said Janelle Bryant of the Australian Environmental Protection Agency.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

will.lynelle

Reply to
Bruce Durdle

Hello

Could yu reccomend me for drinking water scada a radio modem pls? what do you recommend me half-duplex or full-duplex ?

Do you know the best one ?

thank you

Reply to
zarlino

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 06:25:11 GMT, John Nagle proclaimed to the world:

This was someone who was involved in installing the control system. That is a lot different from someone doing this cold. I mentioned somewhere that most security breaches had an inside man involved, as was this. Even the most secure systems can be defeated by someone working on the inside to create holes in the system.

Reply to
Paul M

You might as well ask about what kind of car is "best." There are features a particular radio is good for. There are also costs. You haven't even mentioned on what bands this radio is supposed to operate, whether this is to be licensed or unlicensed operation, what power systems are available, how much space is required, and what the operating environment is supposed to be like.

More than that, however, you should be concerned with antenna sites, and path profiles.

I don't have an answer for you. In fact, anyone who does has no clue what you're really asking for. I recommend you consult with an engineer who has experience in this area. There are no simple answers here.

Jake Brodsky

Reply to
Jake Brodsky

Like a mail-sorting system used by the USPS. Went around teaching all the regional offices how to startup/use the machine, it included a PC interface.

First thing one guy did was 'prove' how unreliable it was by hitting F2 during the boot up, go into the PC bios and screw it all up. He wanted to make the point that 'the new system let me screw it up!'

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

I know what I've used. Where I used to work we did many water and wastewater projects with radio telemetry. If we had favorable conditions, we used Microwave Data Systems radio modems for the unlicensed

928MHz spread-spectrum band. When more power was required, we used EF Johnson VHF or UHF radio modems, for which the owner had to have the frequencies licensed.

This is in the U.S. Your local rules, available products and mileage will vary.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lamond

..which probably explains why virtually every BIOS now includes password protection. A no-cost adder that allows COTS equipment in "hostile user" (as opposed to "user hostile") environments.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

SCADA systems allow one to monitor and control equipment from a remote location. That's the advantage. The disadvantage is that they cost money to install and maintain, add additional system failure modes and can be a security loophole.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.