Any value in cleaning inside old monitor?

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:54:47 GMT, ehsjr Gave us:

Sure it does. The collection of dust, and much of that moistened at some point makes for a leaky anode supply and feed wire at the very least. That makes for poor or shifted focus settings, and other problems that less than your average video afficianado won't notice.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

In sci.electronics.repair Sammy wrote: : My PC monitor (17 inch glass tube) is about 4 years old and has : been used heavily. I took the cover off to fix a loose connection : because the picture was sometimes jumping.

: Inside the circuit board was quite dusty and rather sooty. The : CRT tube and anything neary was very sooty.

: ----> Is there any merit in cleaning (hoovering or gently wiping) : this dirt?

Reply to
<barry

I (semi)regularly clean the insides of my desktop computers. Opening up, reseating all boards and connectors is a good thing, IMO. In fact, this particular computer had started having 'symptoms' a month or two ago.

I performed the above, and everything was set right again. There was a lot of dust on the fans and quite a bit had caked up inside the power supply (yes, I even opened up the ps).

I won't wait so long the next time....

But, no; to answer your question, I rarely clean the inside of my monitors (unless I have to get inside to address some issue).

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:07:06 -0500, jakdedert Gave us:

Most folks rarely notice their focus shifting as well. One has to be video oriented to notice such things.

This is why I bought the one monitor in the world I could find that has the highest video bandwidth out there at 185Mhz (now the bastards are up to 210MHz!). Nice, tight, crisp and clean, CRTs are STILL the king!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Thank you - I stand corrected.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 06:05:06 GMT, ehsjr Gave us:

It has always been the detriment of TVs (CRTs). Even in the tube type days. They would be fine when new, but after building up dust, they start to sing, and circuit settings and calibrations get shifted.

A circuit works until changed, and this stuff certainly does that. They work after changes as well, but noticeably differently in many cases.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Just to back the pro cleaning side, when I made my living from servicing monitors (and before that TVs) every once in a while I'd get one on the bench with the safety shutdown tripping because of a buildup of crap around the anode connector or other HV parts, but then I've also had nearly as many repairs in that people had damaged cleaning the inside when they didn't know what they were doing!

Reply to
I.F.