API 505-Appendix D Question

Hello all,

I have a question regarding area class determination as shown in API 505 Appendix D.

Most of it is straight forward but the one factor for determining the distance of the classification is a little confusing... can anyone tell me what the definition is of Mass Liquid Release Rate?

I assume it is how much leakage will come out of the seals/flanges of a pump or the vents/flanges/valves of a tank or similar item during normal usage. There is a little difference of opinion about this in the office so I was wondering if there might be an official meaning to this? Some folk seem to think it has to do with leakage during a fault or emergency situation in which case how do you determine how much of a fault is required.

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Darling