Best Rated threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Abraham-Ada's Method
Abraham-Ada's Method /*********************************************************/ Hi, folks. Do you know how to vote when you DON'T like either candidates, Richard and Thomas? Yes, you are right. Pick...
7
7

Can a lawn mower magnito act as a wind turbine generator ?
I have a lawn mower that will soon be going to the junkyard. I was wondering if it's magnito could be used to generate electricity by wind power (wind turbine). I would use it to charge a deep cell...
4
4

Question about Whirlpool Washer Motor Part # 3951550
I have a used motor obtained from a local laundromat. I was hoping I could make a DC generator out of it. I really know nothing about electronics but have been reading about wind turbines and various...
12
12

Fuse for motor protection?
A small 1/2 hp induction motor is turned on and off with a motor-rated toggle switch connected to a 208V 20A branch circuit. No other protection installed. Obviously not enough protection so I'm...
11
11

GFCI tripping anomolies
I thought I had a reasonable understancing of GFCI devices. My first problems were when I was using GFCI for protection in a hydroponic greenhouse. There was a lot of plant nutrient which was...
5
5

Why dimples on watr hour meters using aluminum damping disks?
All the aluminum disks used for a shaded pole motor and damper in energy meters that I have ever seen are dimplied instead of having smooth and flat surfaces. Why is that? Bill
10
10

Number of outlets or lights on a circuit.
I have a garage that I am putting about 11 outlets on one 20 amp breaker. Someone at work told me the maximum outlets is 8??? Is this correct? How many lights can you have on one circuit? I appreciate...
2
2

45 KV Maxwell Labs CAPACITOR on Ebay
Anyone working on a high voltage project like a TEA CO2 Laser or Tesla coil can use this. One Maxwell Labs 45 KV 0.015 uF capacitor can be had here " ". Good luck bidding.

How to detect current leakage from buried wire
Hi, Our residual current device (RCD) keeps getting triggered even with all electrical appliance have unplugged. I know there is some current leakage to ground from the wires. But all the wires are...
4
4

PAT testing questions
Two questions on appliance labelling: 1) The IEE code of practice recommends different intervals between visual-only and full testing. Assuming the first test is a full test, the appliance is...
5
5

Adding a pilot light to a 3-way switch
I need a stack switch with one standard switch and one 3-way switch with a pilot light. I called the electric supply warehouses around town and found none. They do carry one without the pilot light....
6
6

why three phase system is not preferred in aircrafts power circuits....
why three phase system is not preferred in aircrafts power circuits....
23
23

Advice on PC Based Logic Analyzer
Hi I'm considering to purchase a pc based logic analyzer. After a bit of shopping around I narrowed down my options to either the Logicport from Intronix or the Annie-USB from Janatek, maybe even...
1
1

Single phase loads on Open Delta
Hi everyone, Im an electrical engineer in europe, But now I have to design an Electrical installation where they have a so called "Open Delta" connection. I believe it is the same as our 3-phase delta...
25
25

How many wires in a hole in a wall stud?
I've searched all through my 2005 NEC looking for some guidance as to how many 12/2 circuits I can run through a single 3/4" hole in the wall studs of a house I'm building as a retirement project. I...
34
34

Building an Inductive Load Simulator
I need to build an inductive load simulator with a 500 watt Tungsten lamp as the primary load. I need to achieve a power factor around . 75. The system voltage is 120V/60Hz. I'd like help in...
13
13

Slip ring induction motor fault
What would the current curve of the stator of a slip ring induction motor look like if the resistive load of the rotor suddenly rose towards infinity? I imagine it would behave like the primary...
2
2

Lightening strike question
Last night, there was a really close lightening strike. This morning, I found two dead squirrels, about six feet apart, under a 60-foot pine oak tree in the back yard. Is it possible the squirrels...
8
8

Question about high-voltage lines bouncing
There are some high-voltage lines running along the road behind my house and now and then I'll notice one of them bouncing up and down. Is this caused by something physically striking the line...
3
3

PowerPlot v2.5 for ETAP 4.0
Hi everyone.... I have ETAP 4.0.0.c software....and i want to run relay coordination with powerplot v2.5...but i can't...because i don't have the button....can you help me to solve this problem ? or...
1
1